Fly Tying
Kentuckysteve

Orvis Fly Tying Contest

And it doesn't exactly look like an easy, production fly.

And I'd guess that to be the reason why it wasn't chosen for 1st prize.

I entered about 2 years ago, put in a classic salmon pattern my grandpa had "invented". they sent me a letter saying that i would have won if i wasnt a minor. kinda bummed out they wouldnt let a 15 year old beat out the old farts around here (just kidding). anyways i didnt know you had to be 18+ but good luck everyone!

I also wondered about why minors couldn't participate, so I emailed orvis about it. This was the response.

"Hello Bronc,

Thanks for your interest in our Fly Tying Contest we hosted from January 13th to February 14th of this year. We'd love to include minors, but Sponsoring or hosting a giveaway comes with rules and regulations that many dont know or understand. I'll go over a few of the basics. We need permission from the parent or guardian of a minor and paperwork needs to be signed giving us the right to publish the fly as well as the winner's information. Not all parent's and guardians are willing to do this. Additionally, some states require that the winners file tax forms for prizes; minors are not always able to complete this type of paperwork. Most contests of this caliber require the participants to be at least of legal age (18) if not 21 years of age for legal reasons. Thanks for your interest! If you have any questions, please let me know.

All the best,

Jenifer H.

Orvis Customer Service [email protected] 1-888-235-9763"