Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
snoekbond

hair bug

Hi

I'm new on the forum

I'm living in France and I would like to tie some hair bug for black bass

so could you explain the way you choose your hair bug (deer hair etc....)

friendly

Pascal wink.gif

As you come from France I realize that French is your national language, but I am not realy sure what you mean.

Store bought deer hair patches are well suited for spinning on hooks,they come in many colours. As far as feild dressed deer hair I usually run a cat comb through the hide. Choosing colours I like for them to contrast for a bright attractor, or blend to show more earth tone colours. I hope this helps.

hopefully somenone will correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like I read somewhere that hair from the rear legs spins well, I'l try and find where I read that and post again for a 100% for sure answer.

IMHO the best Deer hair for spinning comes from the back of Northern White tail deer

harvested in the winter months this hair will be course and hollow with better spinning and floating quality

Some of the other deer hair form summer harvested deer and hair patches from other areas of the deer’s body have finer hair and will only be suitable for wings and tails.

A good tier to ask advice on this subject would be Al Beatty

Welcome to the web site Pascal

QUOTE (snoekbond @ Feb 6 2005, 12:01 PM)
thanks for your answer but did you think that every patch of hair have the same quality for tying

The Back and shoulder area spin the best, and looses its flaring ability the futher you get towards the tail. I do use the inside leg and belly for the natural white. I find the belly will flare while the leg hair will lie somewhat flat. ( it will all flare under thread pressure). Like I said earlier that a good cat comb run through the hide will save alot of headaches at the bench. I usually get some deer Hair from some of my buddies. I ask for the inside front leg, the tail, and a peice from the belly and back just back from the shoulders.

snoekbond, if you're ordering from this continent, they should tell you if its good spinning hair. If not, deer body hair from an area of extended cold temperature is usually best. Hollow is the key word.

I like using the Mustad Signature C52S BLN hooks in sizes 4-2/0 for all of my bass bugs. It is a hook specifically designed for deer hair bass bugs.

-Vandy

snoekbond the hair being hollow allows it to crush, which in turn allows it to flare. The hollow hair provides insulation and that is why you want hair from deer that live in areas that remain cold longer. Think of crushing a handful of straws. If you crush them with a couple of fingers they will flare out.