Fly Tying
vb1971

Please comment on the below books

Hi Everyone,

I have been tying for about 4 months and progressing well with help from guys at the club as well the internet and of course You Tube. Call me old fashioned but I love books and would like to increase my library of 'fly tying pattern' books for the study. I have a few specific Australian Pattern books which are good and I have recently seen two others which may also suite. I would appreciate feedback on the following titles

1. 365 Trout Flies by Van Vliet

2. Nymph Fly-tying Techniques by Schollmeyer

I look forward to your feedback

Kind Regards

VB1971

VB, I share your interest in books. I've collected quite a few myself, and most are pattern books. Can't comment on either, have never seen them, but do have other books that Jim Schollmeyer has co-authored, and feel his writing & photography are excellent. I would expect a book that he's written to be excellent as well. He certainly knows the sport & tying subjects extremely well.

BTW, welcome to the forums & to the tying addiction! smile.png

1. its an OK book by john van vliet AND hans weilenmann but you can find all of hans' flies on his website and van vliets submissions on the internet (basically a lot of traditional patterns)

2. I have no comment on this book but I would recommend the fly tyers benchside reference instead which would contain a whole lot more than just nymph tying techniques

I would also recommend beginner tying books by Charlie Craven

365 is an OK pattern book, but there are many others out there as good or better. I like books that have step by step photos when learning how to tie a new pattern. Look at the books by Dave Hughes. Jim Schollmeyer is one of the best fly tying authors, The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference written with Ted Leeson is helpful if you are new or have been tying for years. He also has another book he wrote with Ted Leeson that you might consider; The Benchside Introduction to Fly Tying. Hope this helps. Welcome to the forum.

A third recommendation for benchside tiers reference. But I suggest the Benchside Introduction to Fly tying it is my understanding that the regular benchside reference doesn't have as comprehensive technique instruction.

The 365 is nice to look at but has no info on fishing techniques or written info about what the fly patterns are meant to imitate. Your better off subscribing and watching Hans Weilenmann's youtube videos

I suggest Dave Hughes "Essential Trout Flies", Randall Kaufmann's "Tying Dry Flies" and "Tying Nymphs" for tying guides. These three and the Benchside Introduction to Fly tying are my go to books.

When you say pattern book, I think of a book with mainly just fly recipes and pictures.

The Schollmeyer book has step by step instructions demonstrating various techniques. It has a limited number of patterns. So if you are looking for a book with just lots of recipes, there are better choices.

The Benchside Reference is a great book but has no recipes at all, if that's what your looking for.

Thanks for all your assistance and greetings.

I do have the Benchisde reference which was given to me before I started tying. After reading this book I bought my vice and the rest is history as they say.

In regards to pattern books I don't mind if they are just a list finished flies with the recipe. Then again anything with steps is also beneficial. I will definitely look into some of your suggestions

Kind Regards

VB

If you don't mind some older references; Eric Leiser, The Complete Book of Fly Tying, J. Edson Leonard, The Essential Fly Tier, Dick Talleur, Trout Flies for the 21st Century and The Versatile Fly Tyer. For really old patterns, at least by US standards, Mary Orvis Marbury, Favorite Flies and Their Histories. Most of these are out of print but can usually be found used. There have been a lot of pattern books published over the years so keep a lookout on old book auctions, Ebay, or Amazon.

Steve

Thanks for all your help everyone

One more question if I may. I have the Benchside Reference Book. Does "The Benchside Intro to Fly Tying" compliment this book, are there overlaps etc?

Look forward to your comments

My favourites were written by Fadge Griffith( two books, if I can find them I will tell you what they are) and Courtney Williams( A Dictionary of Trout Flies and flies for Sea-Trout and Grayling)

Also The fly tiers benchside reference

Another fav is The Orvis fly tying guide by Tom Rosenbauer