Fly Tying
chazg

wing size on catskill style dry flies

Need a little guidance here and hope one of you gents or ladies can help me out. I'm starting to endeavor into tying dry flies and I'm wondering how I determine the size and width of my wings on Catskill style dry flies. Thank

I like to make my Catskill-style wings just a bit longer than the hook shank. As for width: If you are talking about lemon wood duck wings you will have to figure out the amount for yourself. I use somewhere between one flank feather (size 18 hook) and two flank feathers (size 14 hook) per fly. That's only a rough guideline as the feathers vary greatly in size, useable fibers, and fiber thickness. You should figure out how much to use after tying a couple of flies. As always, there will be some variation in fly proportions between tyers.

Usually, wing length = body length. Hackle size is 1-1/2 times the hook gap, which would make it shorter than the wing. The tail should be at least = to the body length. I prefer my wings and tail to be a bit longer. My wings height = full hook length from eye to end of bend. The tail length = wing height.

Either way, somewhere within that range, and your fly proportions should be ok.

There is no "rule," but a well proportioned fly will balance right, and float right. There is supposed to be an "ideal" float line for dry flies that goes from the tip of the tail, to the bottom of the hackle and the hook point should fall in that line as well. Most flies don't float that way. They usually float on the tail, and the body. The lower part of the hackle will penetrate the surface film, while the sides of the hackle support the fly.

Very good information above.