Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

fiberglass rod question

In some ways graphite is far superior to glass. Weight and rebound are probably the main reasons. At least one of the reasons that it took graphite so long to take over the market is price. A nice glass rod could be had for around $30 and a decent casting rod could be had for $15. If I recall the early graphite rods were in the area of $100 and up an a $100 was a considerable sum in those days. Look at the price of upscale graphite today. I have not had a chance to cast or fish a modern glass rod but I understand that they are of better quality than the vintage glass. In saying that, some of the vintage rods have quite a following but then there was some real dogs marketed back then as well. The price of current glass rods is also considerably higher in most cases however few, if any are in the price range of current high end graphite. I must say that Steve has been offering a modern glass rod at a very moderate price and I have been Jonesing after one for several months.

Glass does tend to be much slower than most of the graphite rods offered today and slow can be a pleasant change of pace at least to some of us that learned on glass. Another plus for glass is their durability. They will take much more abuse and mishandling than graphite. Graphite requires some delicate care to protect them from breakage. Many folks won't buy a graphite unless it has a warranty against breakage for any reason. I don't remember anyone ever considering breakage an issue with glass rods. Just keep them out of hinged automobile appendages and glass rods will usually survive.

To many people talk about glass rods of the past because it's been their only experience with it. They dog glass these days because they think of it as 'retro'. Talk about a change in technology... those rods were made with e-glass. Many if not most fiberglass rods today are made with S-glass. S-glass is unidirectional and provides increased strength and lightness while maintaining flexibility. If you think your old glass rod was durable ...todays are even more so and much lighter! With the new technology and increase in tapers if you want a graphite-like broomstick and can have that or you can have a nice easy flexing, easy casting rod if you want, too, all depending on the taper. They come in all types of tapers and lengths. So, don't believe everything you read on forums...go out and try them! To me, fiberglass rods are just more fun and so much more enjoyable! The reason I love casting and fishing them...oh, they also catch fish.

- I was fishing with a friend of mine and a guide. We both had 8 1/2' ft rods but mine was fiberglass and his a Sage xp. By mid-day my friend's wrist and arms were so tired he kept slapping the water on his back cast. I was still making nice casts. My rod was slightly heavier but it flexes and the rod does most of the work. It wasn't so stiff [broomstick] like his graphite. My friend had to work much harder casting than I did and by the end of the day he exhausted his arm. Keeping it simple is generally better.

- Again, go to the web site I mentioned/provided in my earlier post to discuss fiberglass rods with fly fishers that actually use them and not just rhetoric and hearsay.

Ive got another question pertaining to glass rods. Ive heard that they make good small stream trout rods. What are your thoughts on this? Is there an advantage to using glass vs graphite on small streams. Or in the end do they both make great rods. Is one better then the other in certain situations?

Thanks

Fiberglass rods make excellent small stream rods. I much prefer how they feel to graphite. I also think they will role cast better because of they're generally fuller flexing. But, everyone is different and it's best to try as many rods as you can or stick to the one or two or three or....that you enjoy.

Back in the day, fiberglass rods were the technological wonder (Shakespeare even called their rods "WonderRods" ) which were going to eliminate all the perceived problems with bamboo.

The "perceived problem" with cane was that trade with China was embargoed -- the raw material was hard to obtain. (Only one species of the hundreds of species of bamboo is really suitable for rod making, and it grows exclusively in China.) I don't think any believed that glass was better than bamboo. It was far cheaper and adequate to the task.

Glass has come a long way since then. There are some great modern rods made from it.

Yeah, I'll have to rethink the fiberglass rod. I'll display it in the corner, right next to my telescoping metal spin casting rod.