Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Spanky29ca

Taxidermy

I know this topic isn't for everyone but I enjoy taxidermy and I'd like to see what people have in their man cave. I Don't have any fish yet but I plan on getting a couple replicas done, my wife's first fish on a fly rod and the cuttie that broke my 2wt rod. I just picked up my badger from last fall and a pheasant from 2014 as well.

c08e5458418e57cac6d7feefd4a7d84d_zps4aee

0e39755b5060fd6e5b5a0faef16f4b52_zps181d

13fc854e366dfa617f3b95be8f0eec61_zps7c0f

Here is my Pheasant, he is still drying, I can remove the tape in pins in a couple weeks.

68f82644cdb3759fef7b35c77de766d6_zpsad33

Beautiful pieces! (Reminds me I need to find a patch of badger.) It seems to me a trophy fish might be a tad more difficult?

Like those. I take it you are in US? The badger looks different to our UK Badgers. I'm still at the stage where dead things become tying materials to actually save them as a display piece. A friend does a lot of work and recently did a lovely pine martin. It is something I want to do eventually,

Also like your engraved chair backs.

Those look great Lance I love the badger especially, did you do them yourself? I don't have any game but do have around a dozen fish mounts. I'll get some pics of the fish mounts when I get time.

Like those. I take it you are in US? The badger looks different to our UK Badgers. I'm still at the stage where dead things become tying materials to actually save them as a display piece. A friend does a lot of work and recently did a lovely pine martin. It is something I want to do eventually,

Also like your engraved chair backs.

I'm in Canada and the Badgers we have here are called the "American Badger". The Badgers you have in Europe are very nice animals as well and I'm guessing just as mean, I was grouse hunting when I shot this guy and I'd say it was more for self defense than anything. He scared the crap right out of me when he came out of the trees.

Those look great Lance I love the badger especially, did you do them yourself? I don't have any game but do have around a dozen fish mounts. I'll get some pics of the fish mounts when I get time.

I have a guy that does them for me Steve, Id be scared to see what mine would look like lol. I have two other pheasants as well but that's about it for me. I haven't harvested a deer worth displaying as I usually just bow hunt for the meat and take whatever comes along.

Yep your Yanky badger almost has a meercat look to its face. Ours are more grumpy looking in the flesh. Dont blame you for shooting first and saying hello second, if you've ever seen one digging for a bees nest or smashing open wooden bird feeders for the peanuts, dont want to be on the receiving end of them paws.

post-42518-0-64082000-1421700158_thumb.jpg

Nice mounts.

My grandmother had a badger (European variety) move into her compost pile one year. She told me that she only made some hurried deposits to the pile that year, she did not dare stay long enough to remove any compost. It would growl at her while she was in her vegetable garden proper but not leave it's den area, I guess there was some unspoken agreement between the two. She said the thing spooked her pretty good. Now if the badger had made forays into her beans I think I would have put my money on her. There would have been some badger clobbering. I learned at a young age that there were lines and then there were lines, you didn't mess with the pole beans without permission.

Badgers are an animal with attitude that's for sure. I've only come across one in my life which was about 5 years ago. Was going down the road in the truck by my cabin when one was just coming out of the woods on the side of the road. We pulled over about 30ft from it and it actually stood it's ground and squared off to the truck like it gonna kick the trucks ass huh.png

I can relate to that Steve, when I was farming I ran over a badger hole and he came out and attacked the large tractor wheel while I was moving. There are some pretty good videos on YouTube of badgers going up against bears. Feisty buggers they are, no doubt about it