Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
C LeBo

First Rod Building Experience

I was given a P.O.S. Eagle Claw 3-piece graphite rod by a friend recently, who parted with it because it was cracked in the handle section and thought I could use it for rod repairs; but seeing it's a poor rod and I don't do too many fly rod repairs, I decided to give it a new chance by shrinking it down to 5'4" and complimenting it with a new handle. I used Manzanita, a local hardwood that has a beautiful rose color, for the ergonomic handle and fighting butt; and used the original guides, wrapping them with black thread and red wire for looks. Christened the Gill Getter, it proved to be a fun rod on the water, despite the lack of a reel (I controlled the line with my hand), but unfortunately has yet to catch it's namesake.

Enjoy!

Thank You and Tight Lines,

Carson LeBoeuf

post-43009-0-84488400-1421630325_thumb.jpg

post-43009-0-98540300-1421630340_thumb.jpg

post-43009-0-59800400-1421630354_thumb.jpg

post-43009-0-15826300-1421630386_thumb.jpg

post-43009-0-77440700-1421630399_thumb.jpg

I personally like short rods though I have no rods that short. What weight line are you throwing on the 'getter'?

I really like that handle ... too bad you didn't include a reel seat. That would be a sweet dock fishing rod, flipping flies around and under docks .... hmmmmm.

I don't know if you can install a reel seat after the fact, but if not, you can use a couple of hose clamps... not pretty but they'd work.

That's pretty nice for your first one I also like the handle, I built my first one from a kit and it was a fun experience and I'm saving up for a sage blank or R.L. Winston blank for my next one