Fly Tying
sparkleminnow

Firetiger/Perch Deceiver

I entered my streamer that I use for Wipers in the FTOTY contest, and apparently it shifted in the box during shipping. The tail was bent, and it looked a bit less attractive. Here it is as I shot the pic...

I just wanted others to see it as it looks in the vise. It is one of my very best wiper flies, but I took a 7lb walleye on it, several tiger muskie over 30", as well as a 14" smallmouth.

post-23-1107709947.jpg

Very shapely fly, looks like a great streamer pattern. I really like the veil effect with the fibers over the feathers and the extra coloring with markers really set's it off. Very nice.

sparkleminnow!

That is a nice looking fly! In the pic it doesn't look that big!

BFR

I liked that fly and wanted to know what was the collar made of. Now that you have posted it I have a couple more questions. Is a wiper a striper? and what is a tiger musky. dunno.gif

Cool, I had no idea about the Musky/Pike cross and thought that a Wiper was a landlocked fish. Are these real names for these species?

Oh yea I forgot, when I veiwed the flies for the contest I took in to account that shipping might of put things out of place.

Tell me more about this fly as I am realy interested in tying some for salt and some for fresh. it has an execelent profile and I like that it will take markers so well.

Daryn S, The only marker used on the fly is the barring. The other colors are dyed bucktail. At that, I would like to find another way to make barring on the sides. I use an indellible laundry marker, and it still washes off, eventually. Doesn't really matter, though. The fish have usually mangled it before that happens.

Also, to answer your question of the fish names....yes, those are the real names for the species. They are both hybrids, so there isn't widespread distribution (or, knowledge) of these fish. The Illinois state record for a wiper is just a few ounces over 20 lbs. My best is 14.5lbs.

What type line/leader do you use when you fish for larger fish with this fly? I use a sink-tip line when going for toothy critters and was wondering if you did the same.

-Vandy

I use a 9, or 10 wt rod with floating or clear intermediate line. I terminate the line with a whip loop, and loop on an Air-Flo poly leader, clear intermediate. To this I add a 4-6ft length of 17lb clear mono. I have been bit off by muskie, but most of the time it wasn't until I got the Boga Grip on them. I did loose one to a bite off when I had to make a second attempt at him. I had two times when the Tiger Muskie bit the end of my fly line instead of the fly!! It was a good thing the line was old, and needed replaced anyway.

For the wipers, I use the floating line for poppers, but the longest length of tippet section I can get away with. They spook easily with colored line. They don't seem to mind the clear intermediate, at all. I use that for the streamer. I think that the color is the problem, not the diameter of the line. I honestly think I could use 100lb tippet, as long as it was clear, and the fish wouldn't mind a bit. When you use wire or colored mono, no matter the pound test, your success goes down drastically.

The reason I use the shallow set-up is the shallow, rocky shoal where a lot of these fish hold. I think that's why I out fish the spin fishermen most of the time. They can't cast sub-surface lures where I do. They get hung up the instant their sub-surface lures hit the water. I can work the fly slower without getting hung up. The full sink line will work, for me, in really high water. I carry all three lines.

I havent fished for a "Toothy Critter" in a long time, and wonder about leaders. recently Chain Pickerel have become one of top Game fish here. What about fireline or flourocarbon dunno.gif . What is the colar of the fly, I dont think any marker will stay on anything synthetic, but leting it air dry for a long time helps. then coat it again. It takes time for the marker to sink in to the fibers.

14.5 pounds is a nice fish, it looks like they are short fat Stripers. I thought about the Tiger musky and can remember as a child that I wanted to catch one. I think it is cool that you are out fishing them with your own flies!