Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
WdyCoachmen

Bitch Creek nymph

Hello everyone,

I am having trouble with tying a BC nymph. I can not get the weave correct. I wrap the black Chenile over the top of the hook, then wrap the orange chenile over that, then wrap the black to the other side, wrap organge chenille, rinse and repeat. Below is the my best attempt, the hackle is a little messed up, but I am sitting around waiting for surgery, do not work now and trying to pick this great hobby back up. Maybe I am not pulling the chenilles tight enough, or something else.

I am going to be using these for smallmouth.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Wdy

post-54881-0-65744500-1421877622_thumb.jpg

Wrap black over the hook. Orange over the black and then under the hook.

Wrap black over the hook. Then orange over the black and under the hook again.

Hope this helps.

Rick

It looks like the chenille might be too big for the size of the fly you're tying.

One color only on top, the other color only on the bottom ... evenly tightened on both sides to keep that line straight.

yes, I was looking at the Chenille when tying it and thinking something was wrong.

The materials were the same size, medium, but I think they just sat for so long that the chenille was just permanently flat-ish. I know that does not make sense.

That is a size 4 hook, 2x. 6/0 thread, only thread size I have at the time. (An order is coming for 3/0.)

I have the almost same problem with Montana nymphs, spacing the two chenilles with the hackle.

Wdy

You can restore the chenille some by gently steaming it over a tea kettle. Don't over do it, just gently steam a few inches at a time and let it dry. If it needs a little more repeat as needed. This can be used to rejuvenate a number of materials both natural and synthetic. You can also unwind chenille and run it through your fingers a few times and see if that helps.

Steve

I'd try a longer hook slightly weighted and a slightly more pronounced thorax to allow the 'legs' to spread out and move a bit

Smallies of ourse won't much care...

Rocco

tie in wire ribbing

tie in the black chenille on top of hook shank

tie in orange/yellow/red/green etc chenille on under side of hook shank

wrap black chenille forward like you would do for a wooly bugger

pull the orange chenille under the hook shank and tie off where you tied off the black chenille

rib the body with the wire

much easier than weaving and just as effective

http://flytyingnewandold.BlogSpot.com/2011_04_01archive.html

Flytire has a really good point. A weave looks fantastic if:

(1) It's done correctly

(2) It's done with a material that shows every twist and turn.

(3) It's necessary.

If you're fishing with it, and the material is wrong for the procedure ... there are easier ways to achieve a similar look.

I simply wrap the whole thing with orange chenille, and use a marker to apply the back. Stonefly nymphs need to be fished deep in rocky runs, and many will be lost. Quicker the tie the better.

that marker tip is even easier

weaving is ok (ive done it many many years ago) but I don't really see the need of doing it.

other techniques can achieve the same results and the fish don't even care

Ok, thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I do like the marker approach, that way I can get some completed to fish with first. I am having a nasty surgery coming up soon and will be down for about 4 months minimum so, I'm in a hurry to get something completed and in the water.

Sorry about your impending surgery. We all hope it turns out well. Please keep us updated on your recovery.

Hope your impending surgery goes well and doesn't get in the way of your tying and fishing! God understands about important things. One of the best things about this forum and this site is that when directions to tie a fly are designed to produce a fly to capture a customer, the people I consider the "wise men" can come up with easier, simpler ways to tye the same fly to capture a fish, which is what is supposed to happen anyway. I love it! I can read all the books, but there is more smarts here that work better.for old hardheads like me. Get well quick, the fish are waiting!