Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
utyer

Flies from the left overs:

There have been a few topics before on what we do with the waste or trimmings. Do we save them to tie with later, or just chuck em. Well lately, I have been tying with a lot of craft fur, and the first thing most of us will do with craft fur, is pull out the short fuzzy stuff on the base. Some patterns like the craft fur shrimp use that for the dubbing that makes up the body of the shrimp.

When tying craft fur streamers, I still pull out the fuzzies, but there isn't much call for them in the tying. So what do I do with all that waste? I have a pile of fuzzy scraps, in many colors. I mix them all together, and get a big ball of this:

post-12074-0-36599400-1422329296_thumb.jpg

Once blended, it has become dubbing for the following 2 flies.

After tying in the claws, legs, and eyes, I make a dubbing loop by splitting my thread (Gutermann Bulky Nylon,) and wrap a thick body, Then simply brush the dubbing out to the sides and trim to shape.

post-12074-0-11670200-1422329406_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-06595500-1422329424_thumb.jpg

Color can vary depending on just what color or colors of craft fur you have been tying with.

post-12074-0-52426000-1422329452_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-69332300-1422329487_thumb.jpg

The rest of the dubbing I save to use for more of these, or to blend with other leftovers.

Those look GREAT...Waste not...Want Not...LOL...Of course your flies always look good I think!!!!

Great crabs. Same with arctic fox and the various furs we use a lot with salmon flies. Lots of underhair. I use small compartment box to keep that in for dubbing.

I have had great luck with leftover materials and just throwing it all on a hook it looks like a clown most times and a joke fly however days when nothing is working I flick them out and have luck sometimes.....