Fly Tying
TheRadiant

Greetings all!

Greetings all...I have lurked here for a couple of years, looking at flies and trying to expand my knowledge of fly tying. I have tied for about three years now and am completely addicted to it. I live in extreme southern Alabama..very near to the coast and my dad taught to fly fish at a very early age. I grew up fishing the local creeks and streams for gills and crackers with the occasional bass and white perch thrown in. Over the years I became interested in inshore saltwater fishing and currently split my time between that and my passion for tying and then finding bream and various panfish in my home waters. I wanted to introduce myself as I would like to begin posting some pictures of my ties. I only tie for warmwater species..mostly bluegill and crappie. 99% of my ties are on #8 or #10 basic dry fly hooks. Now, my fly photography sucks, but I am trying to do better with what I have. Please feel free to critique,(albeit not too harshly..lol), I enjoy this forum for its civility and respect. One other thing about my style... being a panfish purist I am not a traditional tyer in the sense that I use $50 capes and saddles for delicate dries and whatnot. I really love using synthetics...in particular synthetic hackle materials. I like lots of flash and fluorescent colors. The panfish in my part of the world like bright attractor colors as well as traditional browns and blacks if you will...so don't be surprised to see some eye popping colors. Many thanks to all...Shane

post-47077-0-82369900-1422419819_thumb.jpg

post-47077-0-09850800-1422420005_thumb.jpg

post-47077-0-52574400-1422420111_thumb.jpg

post-47077-0-35800700-1422420172_thumb.jpg

post-47077-0-35839500-1422420275_thumb.jpg

I haven't heard the term white perch in beaucoup years... that's what my dad called white crappie. Both Mike and I sympathize with your philosophy regarding materials. I use all kinds of weird stuff from sewing shops, craft stores, etc. Whatever works.

I like those bees a lot. Some day I'll get around to making some.

Welcome to the forums. Nothing wrong with tying what works. Your photos are better than most. Get some photo editing software to crop out the extra background. Flies on a contrasting one color background are always easier to see. I use Photoscape which is easy to use, and a free download.

You'd save time and effort by preparing a clean background that completely fills your frame. There have been some threads on this forum back a couple of months I think, that provided lots of info on taking good fly photos. It most likely was in the Photography forum.

Wow! Those are beautiful flies. I really like the Ginty style body with the long tail and the pink fly. Bet the gills just tear into them. Thanks for sharing that gives me some much needed ideas and motivation waiting for the water to warm up.