Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JasonV

Dry Fly Dubbing

The only dubbing I have on hand is superfine dry fly dubbing. I am tying some pheasant tail nymphs. Will using this dubbing cause them to float? I want to keep tying but am not sure if it is ok to dub them with this type of dubbing..

The only dubbing I have on hand is superfine dry fly dubbing. I am tying some pheasant tail nymphs. Will using this dubbing cause them to float? I want to keep tying but am not sure if it is ok to dub them with this type of dubbing..

Why are you using dubbing in a pheasant tail nymph, unless its some kind of variant. The body on the original is pheasant tail fibers and peacock.

And to answer your question, when i started tying flys i tyed alot of nymphs with dry fly dubbing and didn't have any troubles with them floating. If you do find that you are having troubles just tye the fly with some lead wire, or a bead head.

It shouldn't. The dubbing for dry flys is only for dry flies because it doesn't abdorb as much water. That doesn't mean it floats. The hackle makes a dry fly stay up. It should be fine. Especially for nymphs with lead wraps or a Beadhead.

Why are you using dubbing in a pheasant tail nymph, unless its some kind of variant. The body on the original is pheasant tail fibers and peacock.

And to answer your question, when i started tying flys i tyed alot of nymphs with dry fly dubbing and didn't have any troubles with them floating. If you do find that you are having troubles just tye the fly with some lead wire, or a bead head.

I find I like using dubbing instead of peacock herl. Lasts longer, and if can add a hot spot under the thorax, or vary the thorax color.

I am following this video

I have tied 3 so far with the fine dubbing. On one of them I mixed in some hares mask, but i need a blender to mix the dubbing better. Is this a video showing a variation of the standard fly?

*posted the wrong video at first

*and I answered my own question on the variation as it is the "Cove's" Nymph. Sorry for the confusion.

In the days before synthetics we used to use fur to make our own dubbing. If you look a fur from a rabbit, mink, muskrat, etc; it will have a very fine underfur and then longer thicker guard hair. See the fur piece below

Muskrat_Fur.jpg

In general fine dubbing is used for dry flies and "rough" dubbing is used for nymphs. Both types of dubbing can be gotten from a piece of fur.

We would pull out the guard hairs and then snip the underfur for dry fly dubbing or include the guard hair for nymph dubbing. For example, hare's ear is a rough dubbing with irregular lengths and thicknesses of fur. The soft underfur of a rabbit would make a good dry fly dubbing.

In Davie's video he clearly uses a rough nymph type dubbing for the thorax and you can see the spiky thicker fibers stick out.

You do not need a blender to mix dubbing. Put the fibers in a glass jar with water, cap it and shake the jar. The dubbing will be mixed. Dry it on a paper towel.

Another way is the zip lock bag and canned air method.

http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatches/2011/11/21/mixing-your-own-dubbing-by-juan-ramirez/

if that is all you have then go ahead and use it

the thorax on a pheasant tail nymph can be any type of material you want to use. dubbing, wire, tinsel, peacock herl, ostrich herl etc

yes, you can even use pearl tinsel for the thorax

GOOGLE "pearly pheasant tail nymph" and see for yourself

fish for life

the original pheasant tail nymph was made of pheasant tail and wire as tied by Frank Sawyer, not pheasant tail and peacock herl. Al Troth refined the sawyer version into the "American" pheasant tail around 1960 using peacock herl as the thorax material