Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Randyflycaster

D-Ribbing, Does It Float?

It might float on it's own ... it IS plastic. But I'll bet it isn't MUCH lighter than water. I'll bet it doesn't have enough buoyancy to float an appropriate sized hook.

I would guess no, based on the fact the monomer that is the basis of vinyl polymers is denser than water. If you have some just cut off an inch or two and stick it into a cup of water and see what happens. As a general rule solid plastic materials don't float well or at all.

Steve

I didn't think it was hollow.

You might could get a piece to float on the surface tension, kinda like you can a needle, but I don't think it is lighter than water.

Kirk

d rib is not hollow

liquid lace tubing is hollow. try that

however, wrapping liquid lace hollow tubing with any type of tension will make it collapse and any trapped air in the tubing would be gone

i dont think any of the plastic body wrap materials were intended for dry flies

Just as a side note: Most plastics are petroleum based. Petroleum products are "lighter" than water, less dense than water.

Most plastics then "float" on water. That being said ... plastics can be just a fraction of a percent lighter than water, and ANY weight added will allow them to sink.

D-rib doesn't float. I've used a very narrow size to rib a dry fly, but it doesn't add anything to the floatation.