Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jaymack

Does anyone know about the Stonfo Kaiman vise?

I am looking at upgrading my vise, and I stumbled across one of these at a local shop a little while ago. Seems well built, but I cannot find very much about them online. It seemed nice to tie on for the few flies I tied with it, just not sure if I want to go with something that isn't as popular or well known as some of the other vises.

it appears to be a regal vise knockoff.

fly tying is not a popularity contest. if you like it then that's your choice

go for it

Stonfo%20Kaiman%20609%20Vice.jpg

You're right guys, I do use this vise a lot...both in my videos and actual tying. ;-)

I have yet to record a formal review of the vise, but have recommended it to quite a few people. I have been tying on the Stonfo Kaiman for about a year now and really like it. The vise jaws are formed in a way that I can easily tie small (to 28; I haven't had a desire to tie a 32 for awhile) to large (6/0) flies with no adjustments. There is a gap in one jaw to allow those larger hooks a holding spot.

The jaws offer rotary style when straight, and the movement is extremely smooth. It has rotary features, but is not in-line like the Renzetti. For a rotary vise, I would recommend a couple others, but I rarely tie patterns that require the rotary feature (I don't tie large amounts professionally), thus this is a perfect one for me.

Stonfo is an Italian company, and well-known in Europe. There was an individual from Italy at the Somerset show selling bamboo rods (Massimo), and we have talked before about Stonfo at some of the bamboo rod building events I attended. He is also a fan of their products, and expects that we will continue to see more of their line in the US. With Stonfo, their quality is excellent and in this case, t's a very well-built vise with great materials.

There are a few shops in the US selling the vise, though you can also purchase it from Ebay a little cheaper (I believe the seller is from Poland and is reputable: Fishing- Mart Poland). The other advantage of Ebay is that you have PayPal backing the sale if anything were to go wrong. That supplier is one of Stonfo's main ones to the US, if unsure about purchasing it on the Internet. If a local shop carries it, then I would go that route.

Like a lot on this forum, I have many vises, and know 100% that the tyer makes the vise (and not vice versa). This is the only vise I have tied on in the last year, and plan on continuing that for awhile. With that said, I continue to recommend this vise.

If you have any specific questions, let me know and I can try to help.

Good luck with your decision,

TC

Sorry Tim, I have to say this.happy.png The thing I'd be worried about is that if I bought that vise I'd suddenly find myself wanting to turn a 5 minute fly into a 20 minute lecture, have a cup of coffee, throw a few winds on, sit back and hold up a bunch of materials for the cat to see, then finally finish off the fly.

Ah Tim, I have stored a bunch of your videos and love them but just had to take a shot when I knew you were there.laugh.png

I'm still debating between this vise and a Peak rotary. I like the ease of use and the hook holding power of the stonfo, but the Peak is a little cheaper and has a more true rotary action.

I'm still debating between this vise and a Peak rotary. I like the ease of use and the hook holding power of the stonfo, but the Peak is a little cheaper and has a more true rotary action.

For what it's worth, I love my peak. I upgraded from a Danvise, which is also a true rotary, but the Peak is bulletproof and smoother.

Not sure why one would want to buy a vise from an overseas manufacturer unless there were some marked advantages to do so or the model was unique in some way (LAW comes to mind for example). When/if support issues come up, it is much easier to deal with a domestic source than one in Europe.

I am for sure planning to buy through a local shop, both vises are available. I am still waiting to sell my old vise first, I will probably post it on here once my post count is high enough

So I can add the Renzetti Traveler to my list of vises that i'm looking at now, any opinions on this? I can get it for cheaper than the Peak where I am.

Any of the name brand vises will hold your hook securely. They will be a quality made product. You just have to decide what price-range, and what features you want. Make you a list of features and check it off against the vises in your price range.

My list was true rotary, clamp, hooks between sizes 20 an 2/0, and sub $150. I ended up with a Danvise. I would have loved to have had a Renzetti Saltwater Traveler, but the price was too far outside my range.

I have since learned that I probably didn't really need the true rotary feature. I use it, but only rarely, and and only because I can.

Good luck in your search.

Kirk