Fly Tying
Crackaig

February Flies from the Vice

This is a Delaware Hendrickson Emerger I just finished up a run of for this month's fly swap. Size 18 Klinkhammer hook, which is more like a size 14.

DSC00938_zpst6tvfylb.jpg

I have been working these last month, and had a chance to fish them this week. The Bass loved them. They are tied on long shank modified 1/0 hooks and the overall fly is 3.5 to 4" long

I call them Holopalas. The body is built up using yarn, and then wrapped with holoshimmer. A first coat of flexible cement locks the holoshimmer in place, and then the eyes are added. A flinal coat of Fabric Fusion enhances the shimmer effect. They look even better in the water.

post-12074-0-49075300-1422812205_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-31783600-1422812213_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-53630900-1422812227_thumb.jpg

The carp have spoken, and they want bread! So that is what I'll give them.

Foam from packaging (NOT styrofoam), glue, and brown paint. Not much too it.

x3NkEtD.jpg

utyer, how do you go about getting the flat sided slabs of those flies/lures? If you just wind on yarn you end up round but yours look flattened on sides like you'd want them.

Nice start to the month. I spent the day flying to Chicago ... and I brought my vise with me. It's the first time I packed a vise and not a fly rod. So, we'll see what comes off it this month.

So far, I've got competition ... all the flies look pretty good.

The way I tie these is a closely guarded secret. If I tell you how I do them, promise not to tell anyone else? I do start with a layer of yarn wrapped around the hook, but just the front 2/3rds. Then I tie the yarn over the back and use several layers both on top and bottom the try and get a fishy profile. I then can use flat pliers to get everything shaped up. These flies take a LOT of thread, to lock everything down. I use Gutermanms bulky nylon for fhread on these, and then switch to mono when finishing up with the holoshimmer. Both the thread and shimmer are from Joann Fabrics. It takes about 6 yards of holoshimmer for one of these. I usually double over a yard or so, and wrap that then do a second, third and fourth double strand.

In the water, these things almost glow in the dark. The final finish makes them look very much like some Yozuri lures I have, that cost $13.00. I think with time and materials, I can sell these for about $25.00.

I will try and do a step by step but it won't be today.

I have been working these last month, and had a chance to fish them this week. The Bass loved them. They are tied on long shank modified 1/0 hooks and the overall fly is 3.5 to 4" long

utyer...Awesome looking!!! Please share in detail if you don't mind on how you made them.

I call them Holopalas. The body is built up using yarn, and then wrapped with holoshimmer. A first coat of flexible cement locks the holoshimmer in place, and then the eyes are added. A flinal coat of Fabric Fusion enhances the shimmer effect. They look even better in the water.

25 bucks? Woa, good luck. How heavy?

Cheated and bought bodies

7012A487-88CC-4F48-9B05-8310AD812815_zps

Getting started....used Stippled Pops technique on the rubber legs tied on instead of needle thru body at least on da lil ones

06B2720D-C822-41B9-AC7C-5D1ABF9ADAF4_zps