Fly Tying

You can make dubbing from almost any yarn, yarn scraps, fur or hair combed from your dog or cat, dryer lint, carpet lint, carpet scraps, If you have deer hair, you have dubbing. The soft underfur next to the skin makes great dubbing. First you will have to separate it from the hair. Since you need to separate the hair from the underfur anyway, save it to make dubbing. There is dubbing all around you.

Here is a simple bug or popper you can make with nothing but deer hair. By dear hair, i mean body hair, not the tail hair or bucktail as we call it in fly tying. The picture shows some rubber legs on this, but you can simply leave them out, or cut strips from a rubber band. An old bungee cord will yield a huge supply of rubber legs.

The tail hair is not hollow (except at the very base,) and won't float, or flare as well as body hair.

post-12074-0-89907700-1422906910_thumb.jpg

You can make dubbing from almost any yarn, yarn scraps, fur or hair combed from your dog or cat, dryer lint, carpet lint, carpet scraps, If you have deer hair, you have dubbing. The soft underfur next to the skin makes great dubbing. First you will have to separate it from the hair. Since you need to separate the hair from the underfur anyway, save it to make dubbing. There is dubbing all around you.

Here is a simple bug or popper you can make with nothing but deer hair. By dear hair, i mean body hair, not the tail hair or bucktail as we call it in fly tying. The picture shows some rubber legs on this, but you can simply leave them out, or cut strips from a rubber band. An old bungee cord will yield a huge supply of rubber legs.

The tail hair is not hollow (except at the very base,) and won't float, or flare as well as body hair.

well my mom crochets so i guess that could work but how do i apply it do i wrap it around the string or just what?

the easiest way to make dubbing from yarn is to cut a few pieces off, and then mix in a coffee bean grinder. using the grinder will separate the fibers out into dubbing.

well i dont think i have a coffee grinder though are their other ways

Air compressor and a styrofoam cup. Just don't go crazy with the air.

Food processor/magic bullet will work too.

I bought my grinder for $2 at Goodwill. Keep your eyes open :)

well i dont think i have a coffee grinder though are their other ways

You can blend small amounts in your hands. Just mix it up then pull the pile apart, put back together, repeat ...

BTW - you have many excellent questions, and many more will come up. Rather than deal with them piecemeal, take a look at an online fly tying 101 type course that will cover all the basics.

A good one is found at the link below. In the left hand menu, click on Fly Tying and Beginning Fly Tying. This 20 lesson course will explain materials, tools and basic techniques.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

All you guys need to remember, Stuntsurvivalist is a 15 year old young man. He's not going to drive to Goodwill, or use his Mom's blender to make dubbing (I hope, for his sake).

They're both good options for us ... not necessarily for him.

I do like the method of cutting yarn into short pieces ... put in a jar with water ... close tightly and shake. Drain off the water and your dubbing is all blended together.

Hackle is another process. You might have to get your parents involved in that one.

All you guys need to remember, Stuntsurvivalist is a 15 year old young man. He's not going to drive to Goodwill, or use his Mom's blender to make dubbing (I hope, for his sake).

They're both good options for us ... not necessarily for him.

I do like the method of cutting yarn into short pieces ... put in a jar with water ... close tightly and shake. Drain off the water and your dubbing is all blended together.

Hackle is another process. You might have to get your parents involved in that one.

Haha thank you mike i couldnt have said it better i think in a week in a half or something we are going to the store to get some hacke and dubbing etc. but for right now i just got to make it work.

You can make dubbing from yarn quite easily, without any special tools.

First find some scrap yarn in colors that look good: cream, tans, browns, olive yellows greens are all good colors.

Next wrap yarn around your hand 4 or 6 times. You now have some large loops, Cut these loops open

You should have 6 to 10 strands of yarn about 10" long.

Get an old comb, make sure it is a SPARE comb, not one some one will be using.

Start at the very end of the strands and comb out the fibers to fray the yarn into long fluffy strands of fiber.

After a couple inches, you can cut the fibers about 1/2 inch or there about.

You can blend colors to suit you needs.

Now take your pile of fluffy strands and put in a PLASTIC jar with a good tight lid. Fill the jar half full of water and seal the lid

Now shake the crap out of it.

Dubbing. Pour out into paper towel, and sqeese out excess water, and let dry before using.

15 or not all of these questions can be answered by doing simple searches using the many search engines available. This seems more to be a case of how many questions can I post on the boards

15 or not all of these questions can be answered by doing simple searches using the many search engines available. This seems more to be a case of how many questions can I post on the boards

or you could look up deer hair flies their to hard to do with my skill level i bought a kit that had terrible feathers and etc they all took things i dont have my kit also didnt come with a boobin hackle holder and etc i wanted the most simplest deer fair fly i could see and most needed dubbing. and not only that ive only made like 4 posts i started flyfishing 2 days ago and id much rether ask people with expeirence because you cant stop a video and ask a question....you dont think the first thing i done was look it up.

it is the keen interest and curiosity of new tyers that keep this site alive. most every question imaginable about fishing or tying has been asked and answered multiple times here. if the just turned into a 'search for the answer' site it would be dead (ie. no new content), or a water cooler site for a select few. it is the noobs that drive this site imho. hell i'd like to see my post run here when i first started tying, lol.

keep at it my friend.