Fly Tying

Here is a link to a similar pattern, not exactly with what you have but the same idea for the tail. I would use a dubbed marabou body or the chenille if I were you, and don't worry about the bead for now. The good thing with patterns like this is sometimes the messier they are tied, the better they will fish.

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=161

Also, don't worry about bending the hook like he does at the end, I just noticed that. I'm not sure if I would necessarily trust the hooks that came in the kit with that.

If it were me, and to tell you the truth I haven't actually done this before, I would pull some of the fluffiest stuff on the feather off the stem, and chop it up into small pieces. You then try to do something like this:

It will probably be hard at first with marabou, you may just have to chop it up really fine if it is tough, or try with something like dryer lint first to get a feel for it.

Thats the way you learn, seriously though, don't be afraid to fish anything you tie, its surprising what fish will eat. Also, sometimes the sparser a fly is the better it will fish too.

So what all in total do you have left besides the deer hair? That may help you decide what you should tie next

i have some peacock herls i think one huge flufly feather and a 2 hard and long feathers that are brown im guessing that are duck wing feathers.

Easiest thing to do ... lay out all the materials you have and take a picture. The two long feathers might be turkey wing feathers, which can make good wing cases, excellent legs, etc.

They could be pheasant tail feathers.

If you have a couple pheasant tail feathers and some peacock herl you could tie up a whole fly box full of nymphs.

They could be Bald Eagle feathers. Just so I am not arrested for abetting a minor, I am sending the feather police to your door as I type this.

Joking, of course.

We can conjecture all week ... send pictures, Stunt!

Also a good resource is to go through the database on this website. You can select a material and see all the patterns that have been tied using that material that have been uploaded to the database. As others have said there is always youtube and google to look up materials, patterns, and techniques. I personally spend around an hour a day on youtube watching tying and fishing videos to learn new techniques. I started tying when I was 11 and I had to tie everything by hand because I didn't have a vice for about 2 years before I saved up enough to buy one. You would be surprised what all in your house can be used to tie a fly. No material was safe. Now 12 years later I have a vice and I only use a few tools; vice, bobbin, scissors, razor blade, toothbrush (dubbing brush), and eventually going to get a good hair packer and possibly a good pair of hackle pliers. Other than that the rest of the tools are more extras and wouldn't get much use. I whip finish by hand or just throw on a couple half hitches and some head cement and call it good. Figure out what you want to fish for and then tie for those initially, if not you will quickly have more materials than what you know what to do with, then as you widen the variety you fish for you can widen your scope of materials.

Guys i still would love to have those links or videos.

Stunt,

Go to You Tube and type in deer hair flies. There are tons of videos there buddy. I have spent hours watching You Tube videos...LOL...Especially when there is only crap on TV...You Tube is a fly tiers best friend in my opinion...Well maybe not their "BEST" friend but a close second!

Here's a simple fly using deer hair...I've tied it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctD7PtRsQk0

Here's another one more challenging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYXLEAJB5kA

Of course I do not know what all supplies you have in your stash...The second one entails spinning deer hair which I do not find all that hard but to some it is some what frustrating. Only way to get good is to try and go for it. Worse thing that can happen is you have to strip the hook and start over again and trust me you will end up doing that a lot in this hobby...LOL...I know I sure have but I never give up till I think I got the hang of it. That is just me though...

That second video is a classic example of why just because it's on YouTube doesn't make it a good example to follow. I'm not saying that fly can't catch fish, but that is a very poor example of a deer hair diver.

Guys i still would love to have those links or videos.

Stunt,

Go to You Tube and type in deer hair flies. There are tons of videos there buddy. I have spent hours watching You Tube videos...LOL...Especially when there is only crap on TV...You Tube is a fly tiers best friend in my opinion...Well maybe not their "BEST" friend but a close second!

Here's a simple fly using deer hair...I've tied it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctD7PtRsQk0

Here's another one more challenging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYXLEAJB5kA

Of course I do not know what all supplies you have in your stash...The second one entails spinning deer hair which I do not find all that hard but to some it is some what frustrating. Only way to get good is to try and go for it. Worse thing that can happen is you have to strip the hook and start over again and trust me you will end up doing that a lot in this hobby...LOL...I know I sure have but I never give up till I think I got the hang of it. That is just me though...

That second video is a classic example of why just because it's on YouTube doesn't make it a good example to follow. I'm not saying that fly can't catch fish, but that is a very poor example of a deer hair diver.

Very true...I thought about that after I already posted the link...It was a sucky video but hopefully he got the idea...I am just glad that there is a younger person taking interest in the hobby.

As far as what materials look like, you can go to an online shop that sells materials, and look at the pictures and descriptions to help familiarize yourself. Cabela's and Orvis both have good pictures of the materials.

Kirk