Fly Tying

Fly Tying Bench - Fishingeek

Great googamooga! You have got to be kidding me! Mike, what do you mean, "it doesn't look like a store?" Well, I guess you are correct from the standpoint that most stores don't have as good of a selection! He must have over 100 spools of thread! There are 90 on the rack and a number of more in one of the drawers. And there must be the same number of dead birds, if one were to put all the parts back together!

I could not work at that station. I would be spending all my time deciding on what to use. One thing for sure, if it exists, it is there! I'm not saying that I don't envy the copious amount of materials and immaculate work area with top of the line tools, it is just hard for me to wrap my mind around something of that magnitude. All my crap fits into one medium sized Tupperware box and I am still working on a permanent place to set things up. My compliments to you for having more than most stores I have been to!

Mike, what do you mean, "it doesn't look like a store?"

This is what I mean, Roland.

This is a neatly organized tying bench ... but it looks like crap (to me) because of all the materials hanging on the wall.

It's like it's out on display for sale ... like a store.

Whatever..........It could be a store, one I would like to shop at! Aside from the fact that he probably wouldn't live in a neighborhood like mine, I sure would like to have him for a next door neighbor so we could collaborate on some flies. At his work station, of course!!

A beautiful setup, in any case!

Again, I think you're reading my "words" incorrectly. My reply to the original post was nothing but praise. I don't like the "tons of material hung on the walls" look.

I do! I like to look a stuff all over the place organized on hooks according to categories.

Then again my desk at work would drive many nuts, I organize in piles and deal with one pile at a time. The stuff that I don't want to deal with I shred and say I never received, only kidding of course!

Barnes and Noble doesn't have that many books on fly tying. There isn't even a piece of a feather or thread to be seen! I'm afraid OCD has taken on a whole new meaning.

Roll top is the ticket. I bought one a yet ago and I love it. Plus it locks to keep my stuff as my stuff. Really nice set up you go there.

Beautiful setup. Computer screen that close may give me a headache but really a lovely setup.

Fishing geek

Curious what you use the grizzly dyed red saddle for ?

I also have a roll top desk for my tying bench. Searched a long time for it since I didn't want one that had been "modernized" for a computer. What I decided on was a 1920 era roll top. Though I would like to have it re-finished it serves my purpose well. Unfortunately, I am not as organized as Fishingeek. But it is a setup to aspire to.

I also have a roll top desk for my tying bench. Searched a long time for it since I didn't want one that had been "modernized" for a computer. What I decided on was a 1920 era roll top. Though I would like to have it re-finished it serves my purpose well. Unfortunately, I am not as organized as Fishingeek. But it is a setup to aspire to.

I'd like to see some photos of your desk...................

post-57765-0-85410400-1486349672_thumb.png

Not the greatest picture or is the desk at it's neatest. All of my dubbing, marabou, flash materials and the like are in the cubby holes. Lower left hand drawer is all dear, elk and moose hair. Middle left is full of foam and pheasant tails. Upper left is special tools such wing burners and other miscellaneous items.

The small drawer under the left hand cubbies has various threads and wires. The small drawer under the right cubbies has an Exacto knife set.

The upper right hand drawer is warranty information on vises, reels and rods and what not. The middle right has buck tails, calf tails, and Puglisi Fibers.

The 6 drawer chest on the right has nothing but feathers. Capes, saddles, packaged, strung, and complete skins.