Fly Tying
Clint KY

A different source for tying materials

Clint: you are absolutely right about the law for possession of feathers for the USA. as it stands, there are now 3 different countries, with 3 different sets of laws involved in this thread. this complicates things even more, as posts made are not attached to geographical location. as Mike stated; there is very little to be gained having a discussion about the legality about possession of feathers all over again because of the different countries/laws. trust us Clint, it will be a diatribe within 3 more posts if it continues. we've already seem it. i'm all for reposting about tying techniques for the beginners; but there is nothing to be gained from this angle of conversation.

for all, let's please end this here.

for the OP: i salt mine and dry over night in a low, low oven (yes my wife lets me do it, lol). i also keep wild materials bagged and separated from the rest of my stuff, just in case there are critter eggs.

Artimus,

That's a great idea for using the oven to accelerate the drying. Now I just have to convince She Who Must Be Obeyed. She complains enough about the deer tails in the Freezer, lol.

Kirk

When I brush my dog I save some of her hair and dye it different colors for some dubbing I had also received some feathers from another fisherman that hose duck hunting. In return I made him some flies for the feathers.

A friend from Lapland told me there was a guy up there that saved a hair from each of the wemon he met & made a fly! They weren't head hairs!:-)

Three things:

1. Clint, what kind of law do you practice?

2. Thanks for being completely accurate instead of just holding forth.

3. Thanks to Mssrs. Saarinen and Thomson for the hilarious diversion. Those flies involve a lot more peril in the material gathering than any protected bird species.

Three things:

1. Clint, what kind of law do you practice?

2. Thanks for being completely accurate instead of just holding forth.

3. Thanks to Mssrs. Saarinen and Thomson for the hilarious diversion. Those flies involve a lot more peril in the material gathering than any protected bird species.

1) I don't practice law. I am a retired US Army SFC who knows how to read.

2) I was accurate as far as to what the US law states.

I will now exit this conversation and this forum, as I see that the major hobby pursued here is sniping not fly tying.

Good day gentlemen

you're wrong there lint... the main preoccupation with this and several other threads seems to be crude sexual innuendos posed as jokes.

A friend from Lapland told me there was a guy up there that saved a hair from each of the wemon he met & made a fly! They weren't head hairs!:-)

http://www.pussyflies.com/

"The concept has now been widened to include orders for your own exclusive Pussyflies. Just send us hair from the woman of your choice for the fly of your choice." from the site.

you can't deny the fact that this is a great marketing concept. i honestly could see a S.O. sending in hair for that super special gift.

you're wrong there lint... the main preoccupation with this and several other threads seems to be crude sexual innuendos posed as jokes.

unfortunately at times, some forget that this site is visited by tyers from every possible bracket of humanity. as a card carrying member of the PC police, i'm torn by these flies. i honestly don't know if i should laugh or cry. only one thing to do.....run it pass the wife and see what she thinks.

http://www.pussyflies.com/

yep interesting concept, but personally I would have come up with another name for the endeavor..... something a little bit disquieting about the way they worded it... LOLOL

and, as with everything involving involving the fairer sex, they are expensive... one way or another, expensive.

We need to get a few of the classic full-dress salmon fly tiers involved in this "diatribe".... Those classic patterns call for all manner of weird feathers from birds which are unattainable for the most part. Some of them are actually threatened species, but most of them are just pretty, so someone with some influence decided they should be protected. When you get into the realm of strange exotic plumage, CITES comes into play... It is a humongous joke and has been discussed and picked apart before on here.

there are two separate "bottom lines" here:

1) there is really no functional reason to tie flies with anything but readily available, legal, everybody-is-happy type materials

2) no one ... NO ONE is going to be able to look at your flies while you are fishing and be able to tell what kind of feathers and fur they are made from, with any degree of certainty.

That said, if you get into selling or trading materials which have a questionable lineage, you might find your a$$ in a sling one day.

Oh and don't let FlaFly get to you... He used to be in the Coast Guard, and you know how THOSE guys are.....

Not... I just try to be considerate of others (in this case, the ladies among our membership) in what I do and say. This is a forum on fly tying. Enough said.