Fly Tying
troutguy

Fly Tying Materials - The Mammals

Come on down to Florida, Piker. I'll take you out and you can shoot one yourself. Getting it back across the ocean will be your problem.

Piker people make a living getting rid of wild pigs in the south. I would not export. It is stiff. I plan on hunting for one this month or next on our public land. Where I grouse hunt they shot a 700 pounder. http://www.northcarolinasportsman.com/details.php?id=4814

I just want a 100 to 200 pounder. They are good to eat.

Panfish ... this is my Panfish Attractor (not you, the fish).

It's made with raccoon tail. I really like raccoon tail because it stays "bushy" even when it's wet. It looks just like this even after I've taken it out of a bluegill's mouth.

Panfish ... this is my Panfish Attractor (not you, the fish).

attachicon.gifPanfish attractor.jpg

It's made with raccoon tail. I really like raccoon tail because it stays "bushy" even when it's wet. It looks just like this even after I've taken it out of a bluegill's mouth.

nice fly. what size is it? my brother just gave me a coon tail, and this would be a great fly for the panfish in my area.

A classic pattern that uses woodchuck is the Llama streamer; the wing is woodchuck barred guard hair with a little underfur left in. IIRC Fran Betters used it in some of his patterns for fishing in the Adirondacks.

Steve

Troutguy, what do you use the raccoon and wood chuck for? I have some woodchuck and can get some coon fur pretty easily.

Search for Eric Leiser's woodchuck caddis. Great pattern, simple to tie, and very effective! I also tie a nymph using the guard hairs for the tail, and the underfur for dubbing...looks nice, but it hasn't been a homerun for me...

Artimus, I tie mine on a #8 straight shank Eagle Claw hook from Wally World Walmart.

You can go here and see a SBS for it.

http://www.flyrecipes.com/index.php?option=com_mtree&task=viewlink&link_id=987655989&Itemid=53

thanks Mike.

great looking SBS site. it reminds me of one that i used to use back in the day.

Troutguy,

Small game hunting in particular is on the decline everywhere. I grew up on small game. When deer season hits, I like to fill my tags and move on. However, I love to hunt squirrel, rabbit, and yes groundhog when the chance arises. Deer are nice but the other critters are more abundant and often easier (and less costly) to obtain. I know first hand how great fox squirrel hair mixed with soft rabbit fur can make a nymph look when dubbed right. It's ULTRA spiky. Not to mention the tails will last a lifetime if treated right. (Even though my last tail got wet when I left it out too long and it rained :(.) I hope that fly fishing and small game hunting pick back up in my area, because the two really do kind of feed each other if your are fortunate enough to love both and they are a lasting tradition to those of us that grew up with them.

Most public land down here has Fox Squirrels but you can't shoot them on the WMA lands, you can on private land though. They look great. I have watched for a dead roadkill Fox Squirrel when I travel the Sandhills where they live.

In Brevard, NC they have white gray squirrels. I have looked for roadkill there too. http://whitesquirrelfestival.com/

I have seen them alive in peoples lawns and parks. I want one.

post-3361-0-98698800-1423613780_thumb.jpg

To those who asked. Raccoon under fur is a nice Hendrickson brown if you add a little red or pink wool to add a little reddish cast to the brown. It makes a good nymph body too,

The guard hairs can be separated from the under fur. Especially the tail. You can get cream, brown and black 2 to 3 inch long "bucktail" like fibers. I like them in any bucktail because they move but not enough to twist around the hook.

I like going with my wife to the yard shop. Raccoon blends well with wool, goat, alpaca and mohair. You can get a translucent color that is very real and buggy.