Fly Tying
troutguy

Fly Tying Materials - The Mammals

Bagged some great fly-tying material today.

How many nymphs do you think I can get from a single bunny?

IMG_20150210_152221.jpg

Exactly 120,456,007.

I have a formula, area of rabbit X # of hairs per square inch. Divide this by number of hairs in a "pinch" of dubbing multiplied by number of pinches per fly. The answer is exactly 120,456,007.

I'm am joking. Lol. :D ;) :P

attachicon.gifIMG_20150210_152221.jpg

Despite what Fisherboy said, you can only get 50 nymphs from on bunny.

After you've tied your 50th nymph, you have to pass the skin along to the first person who told you that you can only get 50 nymphs from one bunny.

Oh, that would be me. I'll send you my address when you're ready.

Seriously you have nymphs, dry flies, wet flies and streamers. Do you know how to spin dubbing? Cottontail makes great streamers. Rabbit skins paper thin. You can dry it without Borax if you are careful. It will make strips if you are careful.

Most public land down here has Fox Squirrels but you can't shoot them on the WMA lands, you can on private land though. They look great. I have watched for a dead roadkill Fox Squirrel when I travel the Sandhills where they live.

In Brevard, NC they have white gray squirrels. I have looked for roadkill there too. http://whitesquirrelfestival.com/

I have seen them alive in peoples lawns and parks. I want one.

attachicon.gif3721779568_a9965318e8_o.jpg

we have them in my neck of the woods as well.

http://www.journeysontario.ca/Adventure/White_Squirrels.html

White squirrels would be hawk food within days of showing up around my neck of the woods. We've had hawks take doves from our front yard. Seems cruel, with all the bird feeders we have out ... it's like we're baiting the field for the hawks.

A white squirrel, or rabbit, wouldn't stand a chance.

If you are wanting squirrel or rabbit for zonkers use an Alum bath. Small skins take literally no time at all. Just keep working the skin with your hands as it dries and you have some lovely cured skin for slicing.

After you've tied your 50th nymph, you have to pass the skin along to the first person who told you that you can only get 50 nymphs from one bunny.

lol, that's good stuff guys. Tell you what, I'll send you the next one I shoot. You have to skin and cure it, so by the time it gets down your way it may stink. Be prepared.

Fisherboy0301, the actual number is 488,012. So Mike is the closest without going over, he wins the Showcase Showdown. :D

lol, that's good stuff guys. Tell you what, I'll send you the next one I shoot. You have to skin and cure it, so by the time it gets down your way it may stink. Be prepared.

Fisherboy0301, the actual number is 488,012. So Mike is the closest without going over, he wins the Showcase Showdown. :D

How dare you say my math is wrong?!?!? I'll have you know I read that formuler on the internet, and it must be right, cause everything on the internet is true! Duhhh! :P

Yosemite Sam Wrote, "Tell you what, I'll send you the next one I shoot. You have to skin and cure it, so by the time it gets down your way it may stink. Be prepared."

Cool !!!

As soon as I find out Fisherboy's address, I'll send it to you. Please deliver all my packages to his address.

Yosemite Sam Wrote, "Tell you what, I'll send you the next one I shoot. You have to skin and cure it, so by the time it gets down your way it may stink. Be prepared."

Cool !!!

As soon as I find out Fisherboy's address, I'll send it to you. Please deliver all my packages to his address.

if that shows up on my doorstep......im comin to find you mike!!!! :P

no state is safe...you can run but you cant hide!

I should be concerned ...

But the chase might be exciting ...

The end will probably be less so ...

I guess, now, we just hope that addresses get garbled in the transmissions.

Ok. Earlier I claimed everybody missed Marmot, which I think makes the best fur strip streamers. But I was a wrong.

I just glanced through again. Perhaps I'm still blind. But I don't see no antelope. Particularly the white hair from the antelope's butt.

With white antelope you can make clipped deer-hair-like heads you can spot from a mile away. It's never for sale. You have to shoot an antelope to get it. But it sure is nice.

Panfish ... this is my Panfish Attractor (not you, the fish).

post-44271-0-99711300-1423523203_thumb.j

It's made with raccoon tail. I really like raccoon tail because it stays "bushy" even when it's wet. It looks just like this even after I've taken it out of a bluegill's mouth.

Search for Eric Leiser's woodchuck caddis. Great pattern, simple to tie, and very effective! I also tie a nymph using the guard hairs for the tail, and the underfur for dubbing...looks nice, but it hasn't been a homerun for me...

Thanks for the help, I'll have to try those out!

troutguy - excellent post have all of them as well here's a couple more

Red squirrel tail

100_2847.jpg

Most won't have this but Polar Bear

100_1931.jpg

Mountain Goat

100_7030.jpg

Arctic Fox

100_7031.jpg

Grizzly Bear

100_7032.jpg

Bison