Fly Tying
cjsnyder1234

Tying through a book?

I know this might not be an easy task but I have been wanting to do something like this for some time now and have a decent selection of tying materials hanging around. Maybe I can find a book and read through it to find out what materials I am missing and gather them for a nice project for next winter.

My question is what fly tying books would any of you recomend that I could sit down and tie through?

I am really looking for a book that has one type or has chapters that contant types of flies I.E. catskill dry flies or traditional wets ect.

My favorite style is catskill style dry flies but I am open to anything really. Just looking for some input as to what books you guys hold in high regard not just for nice pictures of flies but also good information as well.

Hope this question is not to vague I know I could just google this but I have and there are so many books out it is hard to choose.

Thanks

One I really liked and have read through more than once was, "Tying Flies The Paraloop Way" by Ian Moutter.

There have been a couple of recent threads regarding book recommendations. Suggest you search through them.

have you tied every fly from every book by mike valla?

Valla_Wet_Dust_Med.jpg

9780811708333.gif

how about gary lafontaine? john barr? terry hellekson? dave hughes? etc

"Clouser's Flies" is a great one, plus it will show you how to tie the Clouser Deep Minnow correctly. No catskill style dries though.....

Rather than a book ... go through the recipes and SBS's on a site, like this one. You can figure which flies you'll want to tie and get the required materials.

Don't get me wrong, I like books just fine ... but for learning new patterns, I prefer the videos and step by steps available online.

Of all the books in this category I would say Dave Hughe's Trout Flies would fit the bill best. It has good, solid tying instructions for pretty much every type of fly.

I am fan of Mike Valla's work really his work is art on a hook, Ray Bergman I also know but the rest I'll get out my note pad and write some of these down.

Charlie Cravens Basic Fly Tying - Takes you gradually through 'easy' flies to more difficult flies with each pattern teaching you a new technique that will be used on the patterns later in the book.

Can't recommend this book enough.

There are four books that pretty well cover all of the tying techniques you will really need to tie most of the common and traditional fishing flies. They are dont contain instructions for fancy salmon or steel head flies, predator flies (for pike and musky) or some of the more modern flies but they have alot of info and details on performing the tasks required to make the features found on most flies like wings, legs, tails, hackles etc.....

I suggest Dave Hughes "Essential Trout Flies", Randall Kaufmann's "Tying Dry Flies" and "Tying Nymphs" for tying guides. These three and the Benchside Introduction to Fly tying are my go to books.

Edit - Flytire, streamers365 is a great website I have gone through and read posts a bunch and its very interesting. Don't think I have seen it referenced on here before. I really like barrel full of bucktails section @ http://globalflyfisher.com/streamers/bucktails/ I like the little bit of back ground info on each fly.

post-52247-0-68698200-1424202920_thumb.jpg

Well I'm on my way 14 years so far just never got into books for what ever reason. I have a favorites folder with all of these books on Amazon I have read some review Amazon has on all these and no one seems to have any negative comments. Thanks for all the help you guys!

One of my catskill style flies light Cahill #14 one of my favorites.

post-52500-0-60870700-1424222531_thumb.jpg

I really like Randall Kaufman's "tying dry flies" and "tying nymphs" My favorite and the one I keep going back to is A.K Best's "Production Fly Tying". I have the 1989 edition. Many helpful hints and instructions. I prefer books over computers because they are handier to me. P.C. is upstairs and the book is at my side downstairs at the bench! Over the years, I have managed to acquire quite a collection of books.

Lenard's book title FLIES or Bate's book STREAMER AND BUCKTAILS . They are both out of print but, in your neck of the woods you stand a very good chance of finding a copy.