Fly Tying
cjsnyder1234

Tying through a book?

I'm currently on my way through T. E. Pritt, north country flies. Needs Aime of the birds he describes to get the lars flies done.

Also on my way through Carrie Stevens flies.

In both cases without vise. And for the spiders, on blind eye hooks with horse hair leaders.

Two of my favorite books that I have enjoyed through my years of tying. I still reference them quite often. "Index of Orvis fly patters volume 1 and 2. These were produced in 1978 and 1987 respectively. You can find them at http://www.abebooks.com/ or www. alibris.com.

Michael R. Earle

thanks they have all been added to amazon, you guys are great! Anytime I need any info at all I ask here just for the fact I always get an answer.

One book that I picked up in 1976, and read one rainy morning in Last Chance Idaho was The Soft Hackled Fly by Sylvester Nemes. It impressed me so much, I spent that afternoon tying the flies back at the campground. The next morning, I was on the Madison river trying them out. It changed the way I fished for trout forever.

There are only 14 patterns in the book, and they require very few materials. All you need is a partridge skin, some floss, a little wire, and a bit of dubbing. You can easily tie these patterns in a weekend.

Syl went on and wrote 3 more books that I have added to my collection.

For a very interesting challenge try tying your way through the Treatise of Fishing with An Angle and the Complete Angler. There are about 12 and 64 patterns there, all simple, and most will still work. These flies were all tied with simple materials, techniques, and were done "in Hand."

For a very interesting challenge try tying your way through the Treatise of Fishing with An Angle and the Complete Angler. There are about 12 and 64 patterns there, all simple, and most will still work. These flies were all tied with simple materials, techniques, and were done "in Hand."

This is on my to do list....

Henrik

still want to tie every one from Perrault's standard dictionary of fishing flies, there's over 16,000 patterns in it.

still want to tie every one from Perrault's standard dictionary of fishing flies, there's over 16,000 patterns in it.

You need to get busy, man!!!

As a westerner I have bias for high floating atrractor patterns Jack Dennis' book on western flies is really good I tied all the flies in it when I first started it gave me a good foundation alot of the flies have fallen out of favor but they still work. There is a good section on muddler minnows and hair wing dries it's also interesting to see what kind of thinking went on before all the realistic patterns and no hackle patterns came out but all the other books mentioned are good too just pick one and tye everything in it that worked for me

Michael

I really like Randall Kaufman's "tying dry flies" and "tying nymphs" My favorite and the one I keep going back to is A.K Best's "Production Fly Tying". I have the 1989 edition. Many helpful hints and instructions. I prefer books over computers because they are handier to me. P.C. is upstairs and the book is at my side downstairs at the bench! Over the years, I have managed to acquire quite a collection of books.

I have both of the Kaufman books and really like them. I could see myself tying through the nymphs.

I just picked up these 2 books - anyone on here ever read these?

I own the "FLY INDEX". That was the very first book I purchased back when I started tying. I still have it, although it is in a plastic bag now. The plastic binder is gone.

Michael