Fly Tying
Harold Ray

Feather Emporium; Honest?? Anybody Using Them?

colotyer, don't know how long ago that was but I've talked to him on the phone and he's always ready to make a customer happy. Give him a call and tell him your problem. I've gotten very nice grizzly from him.

I glad to hear that someone gets good service. I ordered some Whiting hen capes before Christmas and still don't have them. I've emailed him 4 or 5 times and called him twice. Last note I got was that he was shipping them. That was about a month ago, and still don't have them. Not real impressed. All 3 were natural colors so dying time is not an excuse. It's looking like I'm out my 90 bucks.

I have edited a thread which began slightly earlier because I hadn't received some Coq de Leon capes from David at Feather Emporium, http://featherempori...-home-page.html, 14 capes if a multitude of colors, ordered January 22. I had e-mailed once and called with no response and was wondering if I had made a mistake.

I still haven't received these capes, ~$380.00 dollars worth. I began this thread over a month ago; the capes were ordered and paid for January 22. David told me just after I first posted that he was shipping them the next day or day after that. I believed him; that's my nature. Another month, and still no show. David may be a great guy with great products, but his service for me has been nonexistent, zip, zero, nada, and so far, I am out ~$380.00.

BEWARE; BEWARE; BEWARE!!!!!!!

That stinks...If you paid with a Credit card or Paypal I would open a ticket with support. Generally you are protected as long as you do not wait to long. I hope this works out for you.

Sorry to hear about your problems with FE. I placed an order the afternoon of 3/23/15 and according to the USPS they will be delivered tomorrow. This is my 3rd order with no problems.

Mike

I ordered a Whiting Cree cape from him a few months ago and I received it in a plain plastic bag that did not have any whiting markings on the bag or the cape. The quality was not all that great despite a high price. I did not think it was worth the effort to make a complaint,but in future I will only accept something that looks like the genuine article

I ordered a Whiting Cree cape from him a few months ago and I received it in a plain plastic bag that did not have any whiting markings on the bag or the cape.

I ordered ~$180.00 worth of of saddles a day before the ~$380.00 order. It came in the same way, unmarked bag with NO Whiting ID. I thought that was strange, too. Over the years, I have bought a lot of Whiting products; they always arrived in Whiting bags with lots of Whiting ID. But at least, I got some feathers from Feather Emporium.

Whiting I hope, but who knows when it's a plain Zip Lock bag with NO ID!!

Ray

That's a real bummer you haven't gotten your stuff yet. At this point you should be taking action with either your card company or Pay Pal.

When was the last time you had contact with him?

I was just getting ready to make an order with him, now I'm thinking about not.

If you Google Feather Emporium Site Review you will find many complaints.

In 2014 there were 3 complaints filed with the Wisconsin Better Business Bureau

http://www.bbb.org/wisconsin/business-reviews/feather-goods/the-feather-emporium-in-madison-wi-1000007516/complaints

There's no way I would ever buy from this guy. I would register a complaint with the Wisconsin BBB and send a certified letter to him demanding a refund. I would also call a lawyer asking for advice on the legal fee to file a complaint.

No excuse for poor service. But, as far as the packaging, his "Show capes" are ungraded bulk capes form Whiting. That's why they are cheaper than fly shop capes. He also sells "Packaged capes" in Whiting packaging at full retail prices.

I ordered a Whiting Cree cape from him a few months ago and I received it in a plain plastic bag that did not have any whiting markings on the bag or the cape.

I ordered ~$180.00 worth of of saddles a day before the ~$380.00 order. It came in the same way, unmarked bag with NO Whiting ID. I thought that was strange, too. Over the years, I have bought a lot of Whiting products; they always arrived in Whiting bags with lots of Whiting ID. But at least, I got some feathers from Feather Emporium. Whiting I hope, but who knows when it's a plain Zip Lock bag with NO ID!!

Ray

I actually sent a email to whiting, but I didn't get a reply. It seems obvious to me that something is just not right about this supplier. I'll not purchase from him in the future. It's a case of buyer beware.

There is an odd discontinuity here. I too ordered from Dave the other day, and got the order within a week. As Jaydub pointed out, he obviously gets his skins in bulk from Whiting, hence the packaging. Nothing dodgy about this at all. A very common practice that you see all the time at shows and the like. I personally do not care if there is a cardboard insert with Whiting Farms on it, as long as the product is satisfactory, the price is fair, and it arrives in a timely fashion.

Harold Ray: Why don't you just ask for a refund? As others have pointed out, you can always contest a charge with your CC company if it came to that, but I suspect you would get a prompt refund if you asked for it.

Does Feather Emporium take anything but

PayPal? PayPal is all about contesting charges and from merchants I've talked, PayPal is very pro-consumer when it comes to disputes.