Fly Tying
Harold Ray

Feather Emporium; Honest?? Anybody Using Them?

and still nobody thinks my post was funny? Dam', you all are a rough crowd.

I don't get it... ._.

Me either???

...This is your first post? Hard to imagine you'd join this forum just to make complaint directed at an E-retailer

There are quite a few people on boards who either never post or seldom post at all; that is not uncommon on any discussion site. To my knowledge having no previous posts before or a single post, does not limit one's ability or right to reply to a subject or thread on a particular topic.

. Guys you are buying items on the internet and then having them shipped which fairly screams "Caveat Emptor"

Hardly, unless you live somewhere where purchasing on the internet is a new or unusual and unreliable method of commerce. In Texas and the United States, along with Europe, both east and western countries, this method of commerce has been tried and proven over the last two decades. I don't know the exact ratio, but if online purchasing wasn't reliable, people would not be buying online.

I for one I do like davids products but if you want a sure thing head for a brick and mortar and you will never be surprised again.

The products I received from Feather Emporium and David were quality feathers, too; I have purchased from him two or three times. My only dissatisfaction arose when I purchased nearly $400.00 worth of feathers and they did not arrive. After conversations and e-mails, they still did not arrive, so I began this thread. Once I did that, I did receive my purchase, and those feathers were very nice and exactly what I ordered about two months before. Would you have preferred I not complain and just chalk it up to experience?

I have ordered thousands of dollars worth of goods online; this is the way I shop, and in all the years I have done this and all the money spent with many large and small reliable companies, I can think of only one instance in which I did not receive my order, and it was for far less than $400.00.

I for one enjoy taking a bit of a risk buying products on the Web but I understand that perhaps the item is not perfect or is out of retail packaging and I accept that for the opportunity to buy it at a reduced price or to perhaps obtain something I cannot purchase locally.

For me, purchasing on the internet is not a risk; this is one of the largest methods of commerce worldwide populated by honest companies, large and small, and individuals who, through honest and prompt sales and service, build companies that last over the decades. When the "net" becomes risky, it will cease to be a force in world commerce.

I do not have major outlets for quality flyfishing or tying goods and materials near me, so I buy online; I have bought rods, reels, nearly all of my flytying materials, along with firearms, clothes, shoes and boots, basically you name it, online from stores, individuals, and through ebay. I have not lost anything and made good to great purchases thousands of time. Heck, I spend too much but I enjoy buying and I enjoy using what I have bought, and the vast majority of my purchases have been on the internet. And, when a products was not as advertised, I sent it back for a refund or the correct product.

Oh,and Please accept a warm welcome to the flytying forum David, glad to have you here. I know there are a lot of good folks here who benefit from you business.

From what I have seen, David does have good products and no one wishes him anything but success, but success comes from good service and public relations. A client has to receive what they ordered in a timely fashion for that to be the case.

I have seen several here who seem to deride those of us who haven't received the best of service or communications from Feather Emporium. Had we received good or great service and the goods for which we paid, you would never have heard a word.

and as old "Vinegar" Joe would say "Illegitimi non carborundum"

No one "grinds anyone down" and "no one needs to be ground down" if they are honest, responsible, and do their job promptly and well. As for your taking risks on the internet, you must be frequenting unreliable sites or not using the internet that I have used for twenty years.

I also noticed you have only 32 posts; that is certainly a pretty small number to give you the right to lecture anyone. smile.png

Have a GREAT day! smile.png

Now who is it that is lecturing? I did not mention you at all in my post. I'm just saying there is risk in any purchase you make sight unseen and online, particularly when there is a shipping company involved PERIOD . I've had great luck purchasing items off the internet and have done so for since eCommerce was in it's infancy, at times I've been burned or had a problem other times I've gotten incredible deals. But there is RISK, as you found out. Glad you got your feathers, Hope you found the relief you were seeking, and it is a credit to FE that they got it done, even if it took too long, time to move on I guess. Best regards.

Michael

Chickens which aren't there.... chicken FEATHERS which apparently some folks see and others don't see... people commenting on the origin of chickens and chicken parts when they have not actually seen said parts... Other folks have seen the chicken parts and think they are awesome, and saying so...

it's way less funny when I explain it.

Geez.

Yes it was funny. How can you not like Dirty Steve on peyote seeing a chicken ( a large one mind you) that is not there. Great movie too! (I do like Tombstone better)

I thought it was funny JS but I couldn't comment because I was in the Spirit World, awesome movie

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell "Illegitimi non carborundum" means? The illegal guys are not carborundum? If it's an attempt at Latin it's a poor one

My opinion is this...

Guy has some good products and delivers them MOST of the time. In such a cutthroat industry, MOST of the time is not good enough. It looks like there have been plenty of good interactions with FE, but based on what I've heard good and bad, I'd definitely choose to do business elsewhere. It's not a personal thing... There are just plenty of brick and mortar shops and online shops who have a much better reputation than FE.

"Illegitimi non carborundum"

This phrase hangs in quite a few attorneys' offices; it supposedly translates roughly to : "Don't let the Bast--ds grind you down."

The stores, online and brick and mortar, that I patronize most are J. Stockard, Feather-Craft, https://www.feather-craft.com/ , BearsDen, http://www.bearsden.com , and Fly Tyer's Dungeon, http://www.flytyersdungeon.com Each of these businesses is a great site for flytyers in my opinion.

I am not sure what the problem is with the links, but they are correct when copied and pasted and should be live here, but................ Never had problems like this before.

J Stockard was a long time supporter of flytyingforum, don't know if they still do that or not, but they have a good inventory, as does Feather-Craft. Not sure which is largest, but both are big when it comes to service and products. BearsDen, seems to be on a similar level, possibly a little smaller, and I have always gotten great service from them.

Fly Tyer's Dungeon and the Mad Scientist are a story all their own. His site is growing and dollar for dollar probably the source of the largest amount of fly tying materials for the dollar on the internet. Delivery was slow occasionally several years ago, and much better now, but I always got my goods without argument, accusations, or hassle, and I paid so little for it, I didn't mind the wait.

The thing about all these sites and many other great businesses I didn't mention is I always got what I ordered, and I never had a single argument with management. They had the customer in mind and did their best to satisfy; that is what business is all about if you have your own success in mind. I enjoy buying from all the above, but for me, the most fun is the Mad Scientist at the Dungeon. I can spend $20.00 to $40.00 with him and get a near life time supply of great "stuff"!

What a blast!! smile.png

Ray

Thanks Ray. I, too, am a fan of Feather-craft...going there to tie tomorrow and Saturday. I also like Bearsden and JS Stockard. Chris Helm isn't around anymore, but the new owners of Whitetail [Mike and Nancy] are friends and working very hard to do a great job. I'm gonna check out the Dungeon because of your note. Saltwaterflies has been good too. Cheers, Ed

Wow, dead horse anyone?

While I have not done a lot of business with FE, have always been VERY pleased with the results when I have -- and if you think you can get the same product elsewhere, then do so...just don't be surprised when you find you can't, because FE has more than a few products that no one else does. I too generally prefer brick 'n mortar shops with web sites, but I find it just as likely to have a problem with those types of establishments as any other online vendor.

"Illegitimi non carborundum"

This phrase hangs in quite a few attorneys' offices; it supposedly translates roughly to : "Don't let the Bast--ds grind you down."

Ya it is sort of a play on latin coined by the british secret service during the big one, picked up and used by General "Vinigar" Joe Stillwell as his motto during the war.