Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytyingforever

My childhood rod! i found it!

Cool! That's a nice surprise from your father! I sold my first rod, nothing special, el cheapo combo i bought with my pocket money from Big W 30yrs ago!

my first rod (fiberglass) ended up in the garden as a tomato stake smile.png

not much for nostalgia + it was my one and only rod I built myself.

(it was pretty bad! and would have only brought up memories of the ex wife had I kept it!)

I've never had a rod that was "worth" saving. Most of the old rods are gone because I broke them one way or another. I've given a few away. Early on, I would toss a rod when an eye broke ... then I replaced them. Now I wait until some incident breaks the rod itself.

Pretty Cool that your Dad saved yours.

Now take it to the first place you ever fly fished, tie on the first fly pattern you learned to tie, and catch a fish!

Is that a Heddon reel? I have one of those. Should spool it up sometime and put on my first fly rod I ever used. I always bait fished from it and broke the tip top off of it (and then a new tip top was glued on to the remainder or the rod). I should try to fly fish with it. Would get a good laugh at the very least.

Think it was an old fiberglass Sears and Roebuck thing. Might have been some other sort of material other then fiberglass come to think of it. I know it looks like it has some sort of fibers in its composition.

BCT

Your Dad is very proud of you it serms. That's great that he has taken care of it. Now you can pass it down to your child one day hopefully!