Fly Tying
BCFlyFishers

best vise to buy

I love silercreek's visegrip vise. I've got one just like it. But I use my SW Traveler more lately.

So ... I am planning on building my own vise.

Which brand of vise-grip pliers is the best? Do any of you make these types of fly tying vises? Can you recommend a welding system and where can I buy one for less money?

I am joking ... no reply necessary.

I never would have believed it. I know car batteries are powerful DC sources, but I didn't even think of them being able to power a welding arc.

wow, you would REALLY need to weld something badly to use that, because it would be the end of those batteries in a hurry

BCFlyFishers, please don't take all these posts to heart. Some subjects, like motorcycle oil on my MC boards, get tossed out so often by new members it does become a little over the top repetitive. In my time on this board the guys are a great and helpful bunch and your answers are out there many times over if you use search a bit.

On your subject, I have the Renzetti Traveler, the Mongoose, and the Peak. With all these very functional vises at hand I am going to go back and buy a replacement Anvil Apex vise I sent to a fellow member in trade for feathers. I have since realized how functional that Apex was and also that when tipped down for rotation use I really like the straight shaft versus the down and up right angle shafts of the other vises. Since rotational use is restricted to the many great things it is handy for but not for actually winding like some do, the straight shaft is a much nicer to work with setup for me. Of the three I have now I would probably keep the Renzetti for its size in tying sub 20 flies. The Peak is a good solid vise for bigger flies and the Mongoose just does not work as nice for me as so many people rave about.

So, go read a bunch from other posters, make your decision, and as long you stay with a name brand vise today you can't go wrong.

So many good choices and opinions both in this forum and searching google . I use a Dyna King ( Ergonomic Supreme ) non rotary and really like it and don't see myself changing . However your question was specific to "good rotary " vises . I tied for years on a Renzetti 4000 and I thought it was a great product . It is very smooth , holds hooks well and has lot's of gadgets for the in line rotary tier , which I am not . I don't think you can go wrong with a Renzetti , Peak or Barracuda . Look at the clearance that you have between the arm of the vise and the back of hook. The space between the V in the shaft arm and the vice head can be restrictive to some . For example compare the Rezetti to the Griffin rotary and you will see there is some congestion in Griffin setup . Others may not have any issue with that Recommending a vise is like recommending a golf club , at the end of the day it's the operator and personal preference. Another point is how solid is the manufacturer if you encounter an issue . Renzetti is very good. Let us know what you decide on.

BCFlyFishers, please don't take all these posts to heart. Some subjects, like motorcycle oil on my MC boards, get tossed out so often by new members it does become a little over the top repetitive. In my time on this board the guys are a great and helpful bunch and your answers are out there many times over if you use search a bit.

So, go read a bunch from other posters, make your decision, and as long you stay with a name brand vise today you can't go wrong.

welcome to the site. this is sweet and to the point.

i had the chance to work with and get to know an Amish family in my area. their farm had more in common with the farmers in the area than one would expect. i was amazed to see the use of free and renewable energy sources.

we have all seem a windmill in the countryside. but have you ever heard of a windmill powering an air compressor? they were able to generate 120 p.s.i. at the source, with usable pressure at 90 p.s.i constant for application. there is no sound in the world compared to a Dewalt pneumatic chop-saw slicing through a pine 6x6.

the oldest has a full metal shop/wood shop. all the power tools were either pneumatic or line driven off a diesel engine. he even had a solar charged mig welder (pocket welder??). solar panels to deep draw batteries to welder.

i was truly amazed.