Fly Tying
BCFlyFishers

best vise to buy

I need to get a new vise sometime. Maybe. I'm still using the same used Thompson Model A i bought for like 10 dollars 7 years ago.... no, there's nothing wrong with it.

Maybe. Someday. Maybe.

Looking at that vise online ... it looks like a sturdy piece.

I am not sure what is up with the eccentric lower stem. The jaws look like pliers, which means they'll hold, but they might damage more delicate hooks.

Other than that, it looks usable.

Vices are a subject I've become very interested in recently. A buddy I've been "teaching" to tie started out with one of the little cheapie AA vises, and it was so much better than my old cheapie, I began thinking of what I needed to get. He then went whole hawg and bought a Dan Vise, and that sealed it. That's a darn fine vise, and he got sold on the rotary feature. I wound up buying a Griffin Spider vise, and I couldn't be happier. Now you have to realize that this is coming from a guy who started out without any vise at all, and tied that way for many years before breaking down and getting a cheapie. Even the cheapies work pretty good, IF you have them set up in a good, solid mount, and you use them intelligently. No, they're not as smooth in operation, and most don't offer the rotary feature, which I seldom use myself from simple force of habit overcoming my options. An old dawg CAN learn new tricks. It just sometimes takes a while to overcome our "prior learning."

I got my Spyder vise for something like $85, and it'll darn sure hold a hook VERY solidly! I like it. It's adaptable to any size hook I will ever want to tie, from big salt water and bass hooks down to some mighty small ones for bluegill and other bream species. I don't tie midges. No need here in the swamps of SE Ga. Bugs come pretty good sized, and many of them will bite you, so I can't attest to the Spyder's prowess with the tiny flies, but for everything else, it's sure been a revelation to me. Wish I'd sprung for a good one MUCH earlier, and with prices going up on everything, buying now could well save you $$$ in the long run, so my advice here, FWIW, is to go ahead and spring for a good one of whatever type you think will work for you. That's my experience, anyway, but more advanced tiers probably have more insight into the possibilities than I do, so .... give 'em a listen and pay attention. Nothing beats experience in fly tying.

The only place I could even find it to look at was Ebay. The country of origin isn't mentioned in the video, just the fact that its made by a company that makes medical supplies. I wouldn't spend that much on a vise I can't try out. There are better values even on Ebay, you can find brand name vises for less money, and many of them have a proven track record.

I'm not saying it is or isn't a decent vise, but for over a hundred bucks, I would want to see one up close and personal before writing a check.

oddly enough I am also looking at purchasing a third fly vise. i have a AA and a Renzetti but, I am very intrested in the griffin spider vise, but I,ve been intrigued with a lever cam model. I havent used a lever cam before and i wonder about its quality. do they break easily?

My old Supreme is a lever cam ... and as long as I lube the cam once in a while, it's performed flawlessly. I definitely can't complain, as the Supreme is a $29.00 vice. When I got mine, they were considerably less expensive ... prices have gone up since then.

I wish it would break. I would like to get something like that Raptor ... but I can't justify buying one when the old one still works fine.

After seeing Mikes link to FFS, I have to say I have a lot more confidence in source. This on-line shop seems to be importing these, as they don't seem to be sold anywhere else that I see. and the FFS in the name suggests that it is a direct buy for them. If the vise is everything they SAY it is, then of course its a decent value. There is only one un-answered question for me, and that is country of origin. A quick email should get you an answer to that question.

The REAL proof, will of course only be found after many years of trouble free tying.

Utyer ... in the video at the bottom of the page, he says the jaws are surgical stainless steel, made in France. Since the whole thing is stainless steel, it seems the whole assembly is French.

I think that vise is made in India Mike.....have a look on alibaba web site I think I have seen it there.

But that's not to say it's of shonky quality they could just assemble it there to keep the cost down.

I have had a regal knock-off vise and tool kit I got online like 12 years ago. It is a nice little vise, but now that I am tying much larger flies 1/0 or larger, I wanted a vise that would grip the hooks and won't slip while I stack deer hair. After a lot of research I found the probable best vice for my purposes was the griffin mongoose. The thing is built like a tank and I will be able tie hooks from size 12-5/0 or so without ever needing to change the jaws. Plus it got one on sale for $200 shipped.

My advice is to research based on the qualities you want and the price range you are willing to spend. I looked at Peak vices and Renzettis but I liked the size of the Mongoose and the strength of the jaws. Good luck in your endevours

I spoke to someone on another site who bought the ffs raptor, the jaws are french made but the rest of the vise is made in pakistan. He said the jaws worked well and were warranteed. He was happy with the vise.

There are several vises out there and yes you can find ones that are American made. Just my two cents...I don't mind spending a lot little extra knowing it was made in the USA. I have a problem of giving my money to people who are trying to kill us.