Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutinturnie

Marabou Streamer Assistance

Greetings all,

I have recently just finished reading the book "Toothy Critters Love Flies" by George Bernstein, an excellent read by the way, although I have a question regarding the marabou streamer he refers to several times throughout the book. The fly consists of marabou for the under and over wing, mylar tubing body, large flat tungsten barbell eyes and I cant seem to find a good example of it online. Iv tied flies for pike for two years now and would really like to add this fly into my supply.

If anyone has a better picture (or pictures) of the fly im describing or a video of the fly being tied I can watch online that would be great. And also what kind of marabou feathers do you use for the fly, seems like I have a different type of feather.

Troutinturnie

I haven't read the book, but have you searched the database to see if there's something similar? You can search the db by type of fly and choose streamers. Also another good trick is to use Google Images, and specify "marabou streamer". You'll get hundreds of hits (some of them actually marabou streamers) and there's a chance, albeit slim, that you'll find something like it.

I was hoping that by now someone really knowledgeable might have chimed in with help. If it helps any, I'll say that I look for overall pattern when I google... not size. I've found several I love that were tied on 1.0 or 2.0 hooks, that I just reduced to a size 6 or 8 so I could use them for crappies. Frankly I think finding one with dumbbell eyes is going to be difficult, except for clousers and charlies.

I just did a search of some pike specific sites.. His name comes up but very little on his patterns. It's hard to imagine a marabou streamer 6 to 8 inches long using standard hooks. The material just isn't that long so I imagine it would be tied as a tube fly, on articulated shanks or as an extended body fly with a stinger hook attached.

You may want to look at spey marabou or psuedo marabou for tying. I've used spey hackle and spey marabou for my pike flies but only for the body. To get the length the tail is a combination of buck tail, flash and saddle hackles. You've got a description, work from that and see what you come up with.

Maybe it is tied like a clouser with marabou and a hackle tail like a lefty's deceiver. That would be the only way it would be 6-8" long unless he had it articulated

On the Pike Fly Guy web site, , I found a picture of a red and white marabou pike fly. Looks like he is tying in the whole white marabou feather (stem and all,) to get the length, scroll to the bottom of the page, and see if that's what your after.

for what its worth i wouldnt be surprised if he ties in multiple feathers, starting from the back going towards the eye. from what i saw that fly appears to have a really fat body. just my guess.