Fly Tying
WdyCoachmen

Vernille vs. Chenille

Hey, I am sorry to ask a very basic question, but what is the difference between Vernille and Chenille?

I have an inkling that Vernille is micro chenille, but I figured I would pose the question here.

Thanks,

Wdy

vernille is fine chenille, sometimes called ultra-chenille. vernille itself is sold in several different thicknesses.

BTW don't be sorry about asking questions, basic or not. That's why the forum exists.

Happy tying.

As stated vernille is "plush" when compared to chenille. It appears more tightly packed and the diameter is more consistent. However, the more important feature to me is the the core of most chenille is cotton thread and the core of vernille is some sort of plastic thread.

That becomes important when tying San Juan Worms or Poopah Caddis patterns. Both patterns call for melting the material so the exposed ends don't unravel. The chenille cotton core burns rather than melting.

^^^^

Yep Sir,

You hit it right on the head, I was fixing to start tying some San Juan worms. I'm teaching my wife to tie flies and fly fish, and I am not a very patient person, hahah So, I was going to get her started on making some of these to get her confidence up and the whole snowball effect.

Thank you everyone!

You have more patience than I would. If I tried to teach my wife to tie I'd probably be headed towards a divorce. Truth be known I go tie to get away from my wife! LOL

^^ yeah, I tried the same thing then she got curious about tying. But, she enjoys it and I do not give opinions on what she ties soo, that keeps the peace.

add..... that's sad. It is always nice if we share activities with our loved ones. But always keep in mind (from their POV) the words of Churchill:
"I'm always willing to learn, but I don't always like being taught."

You have more patience than I would. If I tried to teach my wife to tie I'd probably be headed towards a divorce. Truth be known I go tie to get away from my wife! LOL

add..... that's sad. It is always nice if we share activities with our loved ones. But always keep in mind (from their POV) the words of Churchill:

"I'm always willing to learn, but I don't always like being taught."

There are a lot of things I love doing with Wife. But it's always good to be able to find a hobby that you DON'T share.

Wife and I can drive together for hours (two cross country trips of over 5000 miles) and never turn the radio on. We like each other's company that much.

But ... I can't imagine doing EVERYTHING together. What would we have to talk about if we didn't do things separately?

My wife and I have some different interests and some we share. She doesn't really fish at all and I don't really ride horses so our primary hobbies are different. Since we both had been doing these things for years before we met it was easier to accept each others interests as part of the whole person.

Steve