Fly Tying
Sheawhitewolf

My Very First Flies.

Like everyone i agree the second fly is made better, I also believe you need to pick the dubbing, I was curious about the length (size) of the hook. Maybe its me but I think the coil is too long. proportions are always important. (so I've been told). other than that either of them will probably catch fish.

If I pick out dubbing I use a bodkin. If you choose to buy and use a bodkin for picking your dubbing be careful of the tying thread under wraps. To me a bodkin works best but I at first did break or Pull my thread more than once till I learned that a little goes a long ways.

Now that you are gaining in experience with wire wraps then when you get to some dry patterns you will do better at biot wrapped bodies as well as quill bodies. Good for you, congrats on your first flies !!

I took a spare head for an electric toothbrush that quit and cut the bristles down to about 1/8" long. It works great for brushing out/picking out dubbing. You have to be careful not to move your wire ribbing around.

Kirk B.