Fly Tying
Xenopus

Hook Size for a Largemouth Bass Wolly Bugger?

Any suggestions on hook size(s) for a Largemouth Bass Wolly Bugger? Last year was fishing 4 or 8 but thinking toosmall for the larger bass.

As always, thanks.

I don't fish for large mouth bass but I do catch a my share of good size small mouth bass on buggers. With that said I catch them on size 10-6.

I caught this one on a small brown bugger.

I think it matters more how and where you fish it than what size it is.

post-52247-0-19175000-1424622978_thumb.jpg

The biggest bass I've ever caught, 10+lbs (not on fly rod) was on a size 8 thin wire panfish hook. I know people that have caught large bass on sz 10-16 flies. Really the size only makes a difference to match forage. What are you trying to match with your buggers? Leeches? Craws? Minnows? Let that determine the hook size.

I'll use anything from about a 6 to 3/0 for bass, but have caught them on much smaller. In the bigger sizes I'll tie them on straight shank plastic worm hooks.

I probably use 1/0 or 2/0 size flies for bass the majority of the time no matter what the pattern may be.

I don't think you can tie a fly "too big" for large mouth bass. I tie mostly size 2 to 4/0.

I would stay in the 4 to 8 range your using.

1. You can catch bream on it if the bass aren't hitting.

2. It's not hook size, but wire diameter you have to worry about. I've caught plenty of 4 to 6 pound bass on bluegill poppers. I've lost a few to hooks straightening out.

I think a size 4 hook would be plenty big enough. Get them in a saltwater version if you want big diameter wire. I like the saltwater versions, too, because they are shinier hooks. Any flash is good flash on a bass fly.