Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jfinn

Pike Box Swap

What's the status on this?

Still waiting on the last set. If I don't get them by Saturday I will mail everything out this coming Monday.

post-35105-0-87065200-1429116784_thumb.jpg

I got my flies in the mail today. What a great bunch of flies you all tied! I am trying to decide if they go into the fly box or sit on the desk and get used for patterns. A special thanks to our SM, jfinn, for leading us through this process. Musky Hunter 81 had a terrific toe tag, that I really appreciate. Hopefully throughout the summer we can continue this dialogue about northern pike on the fly. I am attaching a picture of my goal for this summer and yes it was caught on a hook, but no there were no feathers or fur, only a minnow.

Thanks again,

Tom

Nice to see everyone is starting to get their flies. This will be my first season focused on pike fishing I know it will be a learning curve but hopefully it works out.

I made some leaders up this weekend with a 80lb Fluorocarbon tippet section what knot do you guys use to attach the fly?

Nice flies! Thanks for organizing the swap. Sorry again for holding up the swap. Sometimes life is a real pain in the a**.

Think I will tie up some pike sized ice picks in a fire tiger coloration

Love the pick!!! Nice color scheme! I tie a smaller articulated version of these for trout.

Nice flies! Thanks for organizing the swap. Sorry again for holding up the swap. Sometimes life is a real pain in the a**.

Love the pick!!! Nice color scheme! I tie a smaller articulated version of these for trout.

I've never tied any articulated flies but after seeing these I'm going to give it a try. What do you connect the two hooks with?

I've never tied any articulated flies but after seeing these I'm going to give it a try. What do you connect the two hooks with?

On mine I actually did two different versions because I ran out of a material, like 2 days before I needed to ship out for the deadline. One version had a big game articulation shank, 28mm, connected to the rear hook 2/0 partridge universal predator I believe. Then the shank was connected to the front hook with a strand of rio bite tippet and two glass beads to provide a loop and spacing between the eye of the shank and the rear of the front hook. On the smaller version I just connected the rear hook to the front hook in the same manner as the articulation shank to the front hook in the larger version. For the flash I used palmer chenille instead of a dubbing loop of ice wing flash.

Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMemp-VBAts