Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jfinn

Pike Box Swap

I made some leaders up this weekend with a 80lb Fluorocarbon tippet section what knot do you guys use to attach the fly?

If the pike end up not being line shy I would switch that flouro tippet out for some knotable wire. I had a fair sized musky, ~40", bite through a 80lb flouro tippet without any problem

I used 19 strand Beadalon wire, which I buy at a craft store. The wire I used is a little light for pike. I think most guys prefer a heavier guage wire for bite protection. There is also a small articulate shank attached to the rear hook. I just picked up articulated flies this season. They are fun to tie. Once you get the hang of it, you can tie them pretty quick.

....And, by the way, I don't pike fish. This is actually a fly that my buddy turned me on to for trout. Look up Rich Strolis on vimeo. He has over 100 videos, and quite a few are articulated patterns, some of which are specifically designed for pike. He is a great tier, and most of his patterns are pretty easy to tie.

Got my flies in last night and have to say it was an awesome swap. I was wondering who tied the raccoon strip baitfish? If you wouldn't mind I would like the recipe. I imagine the color combos for this fly would be endless

Indeed. On Friday I think. Nicely done by all, looking forward to the day I can use them.

WHOLLY COW!!!! I opened mine up yesterday evening and I am a totally blown away. AWESOME flies...Since I don't live in Pike country I bet those large mouth bass would love to take a bite out of any of these flies. Thank you to everyone who participated and thank you jfinn for hosting. Can't wait to hopefully give these a try.

Pretty old swap but I figured I would should you all what I caught yesterday on a clouser that MuskyFlyGuy (I think) tied for the swap.

post-16687-0-52978200-1463414260_thumb.jpg

Just wondering jfinn. When you get them like that with some meat on do you fillet out all the bones including Y bones and take advantage of some delicious meat. When I lived up north people had the idea anything but a walleye was inedible. Many times I convinced them different by deboning fresh pike and frying or baking it. Needed to be north of 3#s to make it worth the cleaning but 5#s was perfect and once Y bone removal was learned the ease of eating improved greatly too.

Nice swap you guys had but I stayed clear and hoped people who'd really use them would get in and sounds like they did.

Just wondering jfinn. When you get them like that with some meat on do you fillet out all the bones including Y bones and take advantage of some delicious meat. When I lived up north people had the idea anything but a walleye was inedible. Many times I convinced them different by deboning fresh pike and frying or baking it. Needed to be north of 3#s to make it worth the cleaning but 5#s was perfect and once Y bone removal was learned the ease of eating improved greatly too.

Nice swap you guys had but I stayed clear and hoped people who'd really use them would get in and sounds like they did.

I havne't kept a pike in years, but my grandpa taught me how to get the Y-bone out and they are delicious. I had to let this one go they have a minimum of 40" on this lake.

In Canada on musky outings, all we eat are pike and they are delicious. Thanks for the comments, glad you caught a nice toothy critter.

Muskyflyguy

For Muskies I use a loop knot with 27 lb knottable wire. I have a friend who says he was bit off with 17 lb. I have landed Muskies up to 44" on 80 lb flouro. But when trying for bigger fish, I always use wire.

Tom