Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
P.G. Beckett

About Those "compression " tyed flies

Since living on the Space Coast of Florida for forty years the rocket fume outflow has took effect!!!.

From all the knowledge, I could gather, this style of tying has never been mastered before. These poppers and flies are extremely durable compared to most of their counter parts because the bodies are just about laminated to the hooks.

The answer to what is "compression tying". It is first and foremost is that the body must be tied "resting" or "placed" on the top of a straight shank hook. A kinked shanked hook is of little or no benefit because the hook is never inserted in the cork.

I use mostly wine bottle corks (both natural and synthetic) and sometimes balsa wood, which are easily cut or carved to desired shapes and this is combined with a single piece of natural sheep chamois. Unlike most flies the hackle wings and legs or rubber legs must always be tied in first. The tails of the poppers are tied in last as usual. The hoppers are also made with a single piece of chamois over a cork base. The hoppers antennae and kicking legs are cut into the chamois as it is being built; they are not additional ties. The thread wrapping, gluing, tying off and painting part of the body, is a very intricate due to the timing factor of "compressing the fly together. It took me at least a dozen times to accomplish satisfactory results. In the mean time, I have started to make a very time consuming video of how all this is done (including other insects, mice and lizards) which will be released at a later date. I know y'all did not want to hear that!

Sounds like you are on to something unique. The effect is a little reminiscent of the old Gerbubble popper but the materials and style appear way new.

Just wondering if you trued the new ultra suedes in lace of chamois?

Rocco

Those materials, which you have mention, are already fully processed and will not work for this type of tying. I purchase most of my chamois from the automotive department in WALMART because I can pick and choose the ones that will work for this type of tying. To me, grading a chamois is on the same parallel as grading rooster capes and saddle patches.

HOW TO PICK A CHAMOIS FOR FLY TYING

A wimpy thin to medium thick, lacking much fuzz, with very little stretch chamois are closer to prime; whereas the medium to very thick, lots of fuzz, super absorbent car polisher type chamois are complete useless garbage .

I hope this has been a help to you-Phil

So, a picture of two of a few of your flies would be a nice addition to the post. No SBS, just a pic to see what you're tying...Thanks.

DISREGARD, I just saw you posted as a "Pattern".

Kirk

????

even the photos in the pattern database don't explain this "compression" method

need more info secret decoder ring broken :)

In the mean time, I have started to make a very time consuming video of how all this is done (including other insects, mice and lizards) which will be released at a later date. I know y'all did not want to hear that!

????

even the photos in the pattern database don't explain this "compression" method

need more info secret decoder ring broken smile.png

Patience, Flytire. An SBS is on the way ... we hope.

I am curious about the benefits too; not that a fly tying method has to have benefits. As long as it is a method one is comfortable with, then I say knock oneself out.

Kirk

Thanx Kirk, I was just about to ask if this was a tedious process to fix a problem that isn't there. What you gain by doing this "compression" tie?