Fly Tying
eide

March Flies from the Vice

2015.03.01.dryfly.me_.yellow_microdun-76

Starting March the same way as I ended february. Just another month or so now, and we're ready to start the trout season!

DUB...

You're killin' me with that extra barb stickin' out on the right side of pic two. OVERS ! You're gunna have to pluck it and resubmit the photo wink.png .

BTW the flies look great !

I like what you're doin' with the heads. A la Hans Weilenmann reverse hackle ?

DUB...

You're killin' me with that extra barb stickin' out on the right side of pic two. OVERS ! You're gunna have to pluck it and resubmit the photo wink.png .

BTW the flies look great !

I like what you're doin' with the heads. A la Hans Weilenmann reverse hackle ?

Thanks hairwing. :-)

Thanks hairwing. smile.png

The heads and the reverse hackle was taught to me by an old gentleman over 40 years ago. I had never seen it done that way until I saw one of Hans's videos years ago on his web page. I will say this, watching Hans's videos made me appreciate the notion that less is more (thread wraps).

Barbs? I am not too worried about them smile.png

LITTLE%20CADDIS%20THING_zpssej4xhir.jpg

LITTLE CADDIS THING (Hydropsyche/Ceratopsyche) – Petersen/Variant – Daiichi 1110, #16- #18…

PT%20CRUNCHERs%20OLIVE_zpszh7vwbmo.jpg

PT CRUNCHER(s)- OLIVE…

PT/TB

Getting ready for the upcoming fishing season by filling my fly box.

Shuttlecock A Red Tag An Irrisistable

post-52251-0-01878100-1425242296_thumb.png post-52251-0-16804200-1425242553_thumb.png post-52251-0-33326000-1425242796_thumb.png

A Missionary And a Royal Coachman.

post-52251-0-24884500-1425243096_thumb.png post-52251-0-55859200-1425243488_thumb.png

As some of you know ... I spend an inordinate amount of time sitting in a hotel room. Until this last trip, I never took my tying equipment with me. This time, I did. Doesn't mean I am getting better ... but tying IS better than walking around a mall or some other activity. I am also at that age when walking around a mall not buying anything, marks me as a "dirty old man".

Anyway ... today's flies ...

I was inspired by some pictures of a zonker streamer fly, with ribbing holding the strip to the top of the hook. I figured I could do something like that with what I have on hand.

So, the Fluffy Streamer is born. Using the same feathers from a $1.00 boa:

... and a size 8 straight hook, green thread and the fluff.

Wet:

Some nymph on #6 scud and octopus hooks:

And I played with a dryer sheet from the laundry room. I used a black Sharpie. Oh, fingernail polish will cause Sharpie ink to run like crazy. I used some Super Glue Fix-all and made some wings. I also tried furling some thread with tail fibers in it to make extended abdomens.

So, with the same size 8 straight shank hooks, I tied up a couple of test ... may-dragon-salmon-robber fly flies.