Fly Tying
eide

March Flies from the Vice

Thank you, BCT.

One last fly from today. Still playing with the furled tails. This one on a size 10 or 12 jig hook ... I think they are some more stuff from Dad's tackle box. An assortment, so I am not sure what the sizes are, but this on is the smallest.

Still trying to figure this cheapie camera out.

Very nice Muddler Minnow indeed!!! I tied those for a swap back in November and they were some what tricky I thought. Your head looks a lot better than mine!

Hey flytire,

What did you use to make the body on those flies? Also what did you use on the 3rd fly (looks green) for the hackle? All the flies look great!!!

Ben, Loving the Brown Owl. These days it is unusual to see spiders with a head rather than a thorax. Your other NC wets on the first page are up to your usual standard of excellence as well. It's quite amusing that your "modern spider" dates from the 1930s. In the history of North Country Fly Fishing that is a modern fly. I'm not sure it is the original dressing, but it is commonly tied with copper wire wound with the peacock herl.

Cheers,

C.

Thanks Alan, it was a little tongue in cheek the modern reference, although my source says it's from Frederick Mold's Presenting the Fly to the Trout dated 1967. I think the only time I've ever seen herl heads is when people have tied the old NC patterns, certainly no one I've seen incorporates it into any else.

Just got a fugly packer from pat cohen so I'm starting off March stacking some deer hair.

I like the Junior better, easier to handle. Those are some nice bugs though