Fly Tying
eide

March Flies from the Vice

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Another midge a la Roy Christie (the creator of this technique).
It's that time of year.

11067507_10152621069647003_9058943770205

Kimo

BRUSHED%20LASER%20amp%20D-RIB%20CADDIS_z

BRUSHED LASER & D-RIB CADDIS – Hanak 390 BL, #12 – #16…

DUN%20MINK%20amp%20UV2%20JIGS_zpsug5gnkr

DUN MINK & UV2 JIGS…

PT/TB

Here are some Copper Johns I tied yesterday. I thought I was making touching turns until I got out the macro lens.

post-55515-0-28875200-1426718155_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the advice Crack

These are the soldier beetles we get here in Victoria, Australia

Just as I thought, similar shape, totally different colouration. That's the problem with the common names, it becomes easy to bark up the wrong tree. Having seen that picture now I think you are onto something with your wife's pattern. I would certainly try trimming the hackle. Most traditional dry flies don't float, they stand on the meniscus. This is one of the ones that you want to float. The deer hair back is good in that respect so long as you don't pull it too tight (squeezing the air out of it). You could try them with foam over if you can get an appropriate colour, in a low density foam (many craft foams are too dense for this job).

The best presentation with ours, is to cast them so they land with a slight plop, like the natural dropping onto the water. That is why a buoyant, rather than "dry" fly is better. A dry fly will not stay on the meniscus after such a heavy landing.

What your good lady has done is imitative fly fishing in the best way. Look at what the fish are feeding on, and tie something that looks like it. You only need involve the technical stuff when talking to others about what you are doing.

Just for interest here is our version of the beast.

Rhagonycha%20fulva1_Coss_8Jul10.jpg

Cheers,

C.

My newest YouTube video features a modified Pat Dorsey pattern, the Mercury Cased Caddis. This is a SIMPLE fly to tie that works really well, especially in waters with caddis. You can vary the color of the actual caddis, though chartreuse seems to be a great one (both as a hot spot and natural imitation).

There are lots of great cased caddis imitations out there, though this one has been slowly rising to the top of my list.

TC

Light Spruce as tied by Dick Stewart in the Universal Fly Tying Guide

Cheers

Quinn

post-54856-0-93977500-1427033903_thumb.jpg