Fly Tying
eide

March Flies from the Vice

A couple of seasons ago we were the first people to take the boat out. This meant bailing it out first. To say it was rather full would be an understatement The water was within 6 inches of the gunnels. It also contained a couple of hundred frogs. This got me thinking. If there is a good number of frogs around some must get eaten. Why not match the hatch? Tadpoles are something I carry anyway but here is my first adult frog. (Sorry about the photos I have had a breakdown with my macro equipment.)

post-43582-0-13199000-1427581135_thumb.jpgpost-43582-0-67838800-1427581149_thumb.jpg

Stacking and sculpting deer hair isn't one of my strong points but I think it will fish.

Cheers,

C.

"Stacking and Sculpting isn't one of my strong suits ..." he says.

Yet, that's a great looking frog!

Thanks chaps, but really I don't get much call for that kind of work, Maybe a few dozen Goddard's or G&H Caddis a year is about it. If I had more call for it I'd get the practice to do it properly. I'm certainly not used to taking the 1/2 hour per fly that that one took me to put together.

Cheers,

C.

Stmflies I don't think stacking can get better than that. You have mastered proportions and control of keeping the hair where you want it. Kudos to you!

A couple of seasons ago we were the first people to take the boat out. This meant bailing it out first. To say it was rather full would be an understatement The water was within 6 inches of the gunnels. It also contained a couple of hundred frogs. This got me thinking. If there is a good number of frogs around some must get eaten. Why not match the hatch? Tadpoles are something I carry anyway but here is my first adult frog. (Sorry about the photos I have had a breakdown with my macro equipment.)

Froggy_0003.jpg Froggy_0004.jpg

Stacking and sculpting deer hair isn't one of my strong points but I think it will fish.

Cheers,

C.

Use a needle or a bobbin threader to run a few rubber legs trough the middle of the frog, as front legs, and that'd be spot on! Beautiful work, as always, C!

Thank you Fisherboy. I didn't as I didn't have anything in an appropriate colour to do it. Or even in a colour I could put marker pen on to get an appropriate colour.

I have only ever once witnessed a trout take a frog, The upper River Aire has a weir that feeds a mill pond for a water wheel The wheel was fed by a long leet (The wheel is long gone and the mill converted into holiday lets). The trout have access to and from the pond and the leet from the river. The R. Aire is what you would call a freestone river. Formed by the confluence of Malham Beck and Gordale Beck. Both rise as limestone springs and cross a geological divide before coming together to form the Aire. What we had was chalk stream quality water in a freestone river. The fishing was amazing.

Walking back one day, alongside the leet (which we were not permitted to fish) we saw a frog swimming across the leet. About 10 yards away we spotted a trout of submarine proportions. A quick flick of it's tail and the water just opened up under the frog. It was like someone had plunged a bucket into the water. I really hope that I can get a reaction like that.

Cheers,

C.

It's hard to believe March 2015 is almost in the books. Spring has finally sprung here in East Texas the dogwoods are beginning to bloom. I have always heard an ole wise tale that when the dogwoods are blooming the fish are biting.

post-52478-0-85083300-1427685819_thumb.jpg

... when the dogwoods are blooming the fish are biting.

That was always the "cue" for bass fishing, back in Indiana ... I don't know about other fish.

post-37956-0-24277200-1427702388_thumb.jpg The Black & Brown Midge size #16 dry

I haven't tied much in the last week .......so I thought I should tie something.

Heres some from the past week or so.

I am still a beginner so be nice tongue.png

2014%20001_zpstxjnxxxw.jpg

2014%201%20025_zpsjzxsbvfq.jpg

2014%201%20026_zps4lbenr0i.jpg

2014%201%20027_zpsexj8yzt9.jpg

2014%201%20028_zpsq9jikrnx.jpg

2014%201%20029_zpsi8079los.jpg

2014%201%20030_zpsrm4yy8qw.jpg

2014%201%20032_zpsjpomiea1.jpg

2014%201%20033_zpsyibztdpd.jpg

2014%201%20034_zpsuv1z9pqw.jpg

2014%201%20035_zps0iisjnbc.jpg

I like the baby rainbow and those last ones. Are they a hopper?