Fly Tying
eide

March Flies from the Vice

Mikechell, coch-y-bundhu is a pattern used to imitate snails over here. Or simply deer hair spun and clipped with lead wire if you want depth.

For that cone shape you could look at a salmon fly called Frances. Tied in a smaller sizes it should work well.

You've been a very busy bee!I love the nymphs! is that 1mm bead tubing?

Yes it is 1mm and .5mm...Got it at Hobby Lobby using a 40% off coupon...The 1mm has gold flakes in the plastic.

You've been a very busy bee!I love the nymphs! is that 1mm bead tubing?

Yes it is 1mm and .5mm...Got it at Hobby Lobby using a 40% off coupon...The 1mm has gold flakes in the plastic.

dont have a hobby lobby near me but I know where to go. Outstanding nymphs.

I am sure just about any craft store has this stuff. Wal-Mart might even have some.

I am sure just about any craft store has this stuff. Wal-Mart might even have some.

Yeah, where I am its called Michaels, I know they got them there besides all other kinds of goodies.

I got some new thread ... it's called "red" but it's an orange/pink color. Still ... makes a good size 10 blood midge with a little clear d-rib on it. I tied in the brown tail and rib after finishing the ribbing and collar.

mikechell,

Awesome looking midge!!! I'll have to make a tail on mine like you have done. Makes them look a lot more sharper and crisp looking. What size hook did you use?

Size 10 scud hook. It's about 1/2 inch long, eye to hook bend.

I got these from BPS ... just because it's the easiest and cheapest place to get them from this hotel room. I really like tying on them, so I'll probably do an online order for more when I get home.

Mikechell, coch-y-bundhu is a pattern used to imitate snails over here.

Coch-y-bundhu is a beetle (Rhizotrogus majalis), Colin, even worse Mike isn't going to be able to tie it. I was reading just yesterday that the hackle by the same name is impossible to obtain in the States. The colouration being considered a defect, any found are sent to be dyed. I'm lucky to know Christina who owns Chevron Hackles, she found me a superb coch-y-bundhu hen cape just the other day. Safeguarding my supply of the beetles, Tiefi Terrors, and of course Greenwell's Glory. They are now becoming very difficult to find here as well.

Piethorn Reservoir (fishery controlled by Oldham Fly Fishing Club) has snails as a major food source for the trout. The best imitation any of the members came up with, was to glue a coffee bean to a hook shank and coat it with Hard as Nails. Make up your own mind if this is a fly or not. My experience on that water taught me that the coch-y-bundhu will pick up the odd fish when the are feeding on snails. It is far from a convincing snail imitation though.

(I've used your spelling of coch-y-bundhu as no one, not even the authorities on the Welsh language, knows what the correct spelling is).

Cheers,

C.

I got some new thread ... it's called "red" but it's an orange/pink color. Still ... makes a good size 10 blood midge with a little clear d-rib on it. I tied in the brown tail and rib after finishing the ribbing and collar.

attachicon.gifblood midge.JPG

Nice midge pattern Mike

Further work on filling my fly box.

A March Brown.

post-52251-0-70120700-1426016445_thumb.png

Old Hat's Tied Down Caddis

post-52251-0-66634200-1426018988_thumb.png

I tried the Wright Royal, which was featured in a recent topic.

post-52251-0-36727000-1426027539_thumb.png

few bass/pickerel flies

1st ones fire tiger patterns, 2nd one is a spot fin shiner like the picture. 3rd is a sunfish imitation all tied on size 1 and 2 hooks

post-624-0-58318900-1426082231_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-63292000-1426082246_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-60338200-1426082263_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-06694400-1426082411_thumb.jpg

Working on some new ones to try next month.

This ones in the first three pics were introduced at the local club as a bomber fly. The last one is the same but with a peacock hackle. I wish the colors were truer. These are beautiful feathers. All tyed with UV2 dubbing.

post-51082-0-34514300-1426088757_thumb.jpg

post-51082-0-46281600-1426088787_thumb.jpg

post-51082-0-22997800-1426088816_thumb.jpg

post-51082-0-72847400-1426088932_thumb.jpg