Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Pabrookie94

3 weight fly line

Hello,

I will be getting a 3 weight TFO lefty kreh professional series rod in 7'6'' and putting an Orvis access I reel. This rod will be used mostly for Native's and Natural browns. What fly line do you guys recommend for this setup? Any opinions help.

I run a 4 wt. line on mine, the reason for that is; I was having a hard time throwing weighted nymphs with the 3 wt. line. After changing it made a world of difference in the casting of the rod.

On another thread, someone made the statement that has served me well ever since. The weight rating on the rod is for a casting distance of +30' ... which matches the weight rating of the fly line at that distance.

If you will be routinely fishing over that distance, stay with the rated line weight.

If you will be routinely fishing below that distance, go up a number to load the rod for shorter casts.

It works well.

As far as brand, I buy the cheapest line I can find. My last batch of lines came from E-bay for $9.00 a roll. I've had in on for a year or so, and haven't had any issues with it, yet.

It sounds like this may be your first fly rod. If not then read no further. With a three wt. wind may be your biggest nemesis. I have a couple three weights and fish a weight forward 4 line on both. I have a couple 4 weight rods and fish a weight forward 4 or double taper 4.5 line on them. 99% of the guys will say to start with a floating line. I often fish an intermediate for trout but don't tell anyone because they will think I'm crazy. Floating line is the way to go for your 1st line. Like Mike, I usually look for bargains. I got a cortland 333 line that no matter how much I stretched it the line it behaved like a slinky. It would not lose it's memory.

I noticed that STP (Sierra Trading Post) has discounted a new crop of lines. Most are specialty lines. I see they have some 4 Wts (head Start and Mastery textured magnum) at a pretty steep discount. I think this url will reveal the coupon codes http://www.sierratradingpost.com/fishing-line~d~132/

I don't see a 3 wt but didn't look too hard. I'm sure there are several great deals on the net for last year's models for 3 wt and 4 wt lines.

good luck!

This is definitely not my first rod, actually its my fourth. I have an Orvis access in 5 wt and find that with 5 wt line I can do just about anything I need with it. I have no idea why anyone calls you crazy as I have a floating line spool, a depth charge spool, and will be picking up an intermediate spool for running deeper nymphs without running too heavy a line like the depth charge.

What I was more looking for was someone who had the rod. My Orvis is a mid-flex rod which I find quite appealing for an all around rod. I was more wondering if the Lefty Kreh was sort of a full-flex rod or by going a wt up in fly line if I would be able to load it like one. Thanks for all your opinions! Keep them coming

I have a 8'6" 4 weight Lefty Kreh Professional I use it for mostly for small streams and I fish it with a 4 weight Scientific Anglers GPX. For the short casts I use it for it works great and it makes a very nice dry fly cast at 30-40 feet on the rare occasion I use it for that.

The GPX is slightly over weight when compared to the industry standard for its line size so it loads the rod well in close. I am guessing your going to be casting mostly small nymphs and dry flies with this rod so I would suggest the GPX. You have a short rod medium-fast action rod with a small line size so your not ever going to find a line to get the advantage in casting heavy rigs, so get a good line that will help that rod to what it is made to do which is stealthily present small flies.

I really would not suggest going up a full line size on that rod. I had a 5 weight 333+ on my 4-weight Professional and it cast like crap at all distances. The action on The Professional is not very fast so a line a full size heavier line does not give you any sort of advantage. You will not achieve higher line speeds or more distance from over loading the rod.

I also have a 3 weight TFO BVK which is a much faster rod than the professional and I am going to be fishing a GPX on that as well next season since it is a little heavier than the Rio Gold I have on it now (Also the rio's loop and first 10 or so feet is thrashed from getting wrapped up in a submerged tree limb last summer and it no longer floats or casts well)

Most of my casts are short so I think I will just stick with 3 wt hydros 3d. I believe it is just heavy enough to throw a little farther but still load the rod at shorter distances. Thanks!

No problem, I was actually mistaken I have a Rio Mainstream on it I changed out the GPX last season. The Mainstream and GPX are almost exactly the same weight and taper profile so its really not much (if any) diffrence at all.

I'm not that familiar with orvis lines so I looked up the tapers and weights, I looked up the orvis Hydro 3d and found only the Hydros HD for sale on the orvis website but I looked up the Hydros 3d which must be a previous year's model and found the taper info. I would say if that's what you have on it go with that, but If you are going out to buy a new line and want it to be Orvis I would go for the Clearwater WF3F it is slightly heavier than the Hydros 3d at 111 grains (half size up from standard) and with a shorter front taper you get more weight on the first 10' of line (improved loading on short cast) and its $60 cheaper than the Hydros HD currently being sold on their website.

Edit - the info I got was actually for the line called Hydros not hydros 3d, the hydros HD has no taper or weight infor and the Hydros 3d doesnt have the info for the 3 weight listed.

Clear water - http://www.orvis.com/p/clearwater-fly-line/5a3h

Hydros - http://www.orvis.com/p/hydros-trout-lines/3h40

3D - http://www.orvis.com/p/hydros-3d-wf-trout/4x5r

Thank you so much wschmitt3 for saving me 60 bucks! I was deciding between going with a 4 wt superfine which is slightly lighter than the HD which would help load at shorter casts but would not be like going a full size up. If the clearwater line would be about perfect then I think that would be sweet! It is getting old slingshot casting a fly through tree branches with a 9 ft rod so the 7 ft 6 in will be a nice upgrade!

No problem,

My BVK 3 Weight can be converted between 8' and 10' and I prefer the 8' foot 3 weight over my 8'6" 4 weight hands down when I am way up stream fishing for headwater brook trout even the 6" makes a difference when there is lots of tree cover.

Also consider this one, same as the one I use on my 4 weight, and I'm probably going to purchase one of the two they have available for my three weight instead of a full price GPX.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RIO-MAINSTREAM-TROUT-WF3F-3WT-FLOATING-FLY-LINE-FREE-SHIPPING-/290977885478?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43bfa22d26

I have limited experience with RIO products other than tippet material. Are they of high quality? I know that is probably a stupid question...

Not a stupid question at all. I have had a couple RIO lines and have been very happy with them I have two for my 7 weight (outbound short and a 15' sink tip 6)and they are insane. Plus I have the Mainstream on my 4-weight and I'm very happy with that line especially at the price I paid for it. Rio can be rather expensive if purchased at full price, but no more so than orvis or any of the other high end fly fishing brands.

edit - the link is the same seller I got my WF4F Rio Mainstream from also.