Fly Tying
Chaznsc

Another dummy thread - LEADERS

I have fished with a fly rod since I was 15 years old. From the minute I picked my friends rod up, I was hooked. I have never, ever, ever fished with a real leader. I've used a mono line of course, but would like to entertain the idea. I see they are composed of multiple sections of line. Or I see you can buy them tapered.

For my needs (panfish, bass) what recipe would you recommend or pre manufactured leader?

Thanks, and sorry to have to ask such a basic question.

Chaz

If you want to make your own tapered leaders, a common formula has a butt section that is 60% of the leader length, a mid section

that is 20% of the leader length, and the tippet the other 20% of the leader length.

For example: a 6 ft leader would have a 43 inch butt section, 15 inch mid section, 15 inch tippet section.

That is actually 6'1". But for bass and panfish it doesn't make that much difference. You can make the leader

longer using the same formula for clear water/finicky fishing situations.

there is never a dumb or stupid question here (or anywhere for that matter).

POST COUNT

1) straight mono leader

2) handmade tapered mono leader

3) store bought tapered mono leader

4) furled nylon leader

amazing. in the shortest number of posts possible , all the most popular leader systems have been mentioned. all are functional and will have proponents for each system.

i myself use options 1 and 4.

POST COUNT

1) straight mono leader

4) furled nylon leader

amazing. in the shortest number of posts possible , all the most popular leader systems have been mentioned. all are functional and will have proponents for each system.

You forgot LoTech's leaders, which are (5) furled thread, not mono.

Chaz ... A lot of anglers use a heavier section of mono to "carry" the fly a little farther ... then the tippet to reduce the "spook" factor of the heavier line on pressured fish.

There are plenty of more detailed explanations on this site and on YouTube.

For bass and panfish, a straight mono works just fine so far as strength goes. (I think.) But that's not the whole story. For trout, a tapered leader is less visible and also allows a dry fly to land on the water with less force. It allows the very small fly to turn over.

I use tapered leaders for all fishing because that's what I have knotted on my flyline and because the transfer from a heavy flyline to a six or eight pound test tippet for bass and panfish is too my eye too abrupt. It might cause a hinge in the cast. I've never tried it, so I don't know for sure.

I've made my own tapers, and there are plenty of charts online for knotting your own. I now rather buy knotless tapered leaders because I can't think of any advantage of knotting a leader. Furled leaders can make a straight cast from small errors on the part of the caster that will bend a presentation. But they also pick up more water on pickup from the water.1

POST COUNT

1) straight mono leader

4) furled nylon leader

You forgot LoTech's leaders, which are (5) furled thread, not mono.

details, details, details.

nylon (base material) covers both thread and mono.

nylon and mono leaders are not the same.

conclusion: we're both right, lol :)

I'm a fan of furled THREAD leaders. A shorter leader, i.e. 54", with a tippet to suit your situation will work great for you.The furled leader with a 3' section of 6 # test would probably cover your needs well. If you moving up to bass the same setup but with 10-12# tippet would do fine for turning over bigger bugs or flies.

my personal thoughts on each system....

1) simple cheap, easy to carry, and my current primary system. http://www3.sympatico.ca/ianjames/ask9.html#leader

2) old school. complex. multiple spools of mono required.

3) have replaced knotted leaders for the most part.

4) a twisted (furled) leader made from mono line. easy and cheap to make. not that bad for casting larger flies.

5) a twisted (furled) leader made usually made with 6/0 Uni thread. a great all round leader. excellent turn over. require a jig to make; complex to make. they can be fished sinking or floating. all you have to do is coat them with either fly floatant, or sink compound. . lotech is a member on this site that is starting to offer handmade leaders. i have a few heading my way in the next couple of weeks. i can't wait to fish with them.