Fly Tying
flytyingforever

Tenkara - are you tying it?

I never dabbled in it... until yesterday... i tried a basic pattern, and today, a new one... still looks all backwards to my eye, but i like trying new things.

the first effort was rushed, and i was visiting a friend and used gigantic rough thread from the "junk drawer" haha.

the second is slightly finer, i like the pattern, though the execution leaves something to be desired...

Now that you ask, I've seen a lot of Tenkara fishermen using western flies, but I've never heard of anyone using Tenkara flies with western rigs.

They should work fine as they are designed to be generic "one fly" solutions used for any situation. A basic tenkara concept is "fly doesn't matter" - i.e. it's all about the presentation. They use a lot of pulsing techniques that animate the forward hackle.

Now that you ask, I've seen a lot of Tenkara fishermen using western flies, but I've never heard of anyone using Tenkara flies with western rigs.

I think the tenkara fly, with those forward facing hackles, would spin like a top during the false casting phase. It's suited to tenkara because you don't throw it far, so it doesn't have a chance to twist the line. Just a thought.

I think the tenkara fly, with those forward facing hackles, would spin like a top during the false casting phase. It's suited to tenkara because you don't throw it far, so it doesn't have a chance to twist the line. Just a thought.

That's a good question. You have a good eye, Mike. I tied a few heavily hackled western flies that spun like a top - instant tippet braid. Couldn't cut them off fast enough.

Tenkara flies are certainly aerodynamically challenged. They're designed to maximize movement in the water. Most tenkara flies are softer and sparser, though. Hen, partridge or pheasant. Even the rooster hackle is often softer, not the primo saddle hackle. So maybe not a problem. I'll try it out someday on my 4 wt. flyrod and report back.

I often fish with my regular flyrod set up with a nymph rig, and have my Tenkara rod rigged with a dry fly. I can carry the Tenkara fully rigged in my vest or waders while I'm nymphing. When I spot the first rise, I can telescope the Tenkara and cast in seconds without re-rigging. For me, it's even easier and faster than switching between pre-rigged leaders which never did it for me. YMMV

I have used the Tenkara style flies on a western rod. Caught many pan fish on them.

I have read posts on a different forum that some folks tie their soft hackles that way all the time.

Bluegills and crappie are a blast on a Tenkara rod. My $.02 worth.

Rick

Gary LaFontaine designed a dry fly with forward facing rooster and mallard flank hackle called The Mess to imitate larger mayfly hatches. It was loosely based on the Funnel Dun and maybe both were based on Tenkara-style flies. Here Davie McPhail ties a Funnel Dun.

Joe

After more consideration ... no. LOL

Looking at all the emerger style flies, some with wings and hackle all above or forward of the hook eye, I doubt spin has anything to do with it. More likely, it's just not a widely accepted pattern set. The tenkara flies have only come on the scene fairly recently, as far as I've noticed.

a. I've used tenkara flies for a long time - on standard fly gear.

b. I've also completely disregarded all propriety and hung them off of telscoping poles of every size.

c. I've noted something - they work.

Are they the end all, super duper, best-in-class, only way to catch fish?

Well, I suppose if it was all you had, the answer would be yes.

I also imagine that if you've sunk the equivalent of a mortgage payment into specialized tenkara gear, you might be inclined to rationalize them that way.

But most of the time, I'll refer you to item "c" above.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled debate.

a. I've used tenkara flies for a long time - on standard fly gear.

b. I've also completely disregarded all propriety and hung them off of telscoping poles of every size.

c. I've noted something - they work.

Are they the end all, super duper, best-in-class, only way to catch fish?

Well, I suppose if it was all you had, the answer would be yes.

I also imagine that if you've sunk the equivalent of a mortgage payment into specialized tenkara gear, you might be inclined to rationalize them that way.

But most of the time, I'll refer you to item "c" above.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled debate.

Considering the tenkara rod I got, you either found some expensive gear or have a great mortgage payment!

Considering the tenkara rod I got, you either found some expensive gear or have a great mortgage payment!

If you spent more than 20 bucks on a super skinny cane pole ... his comment is valid.

How so? My TenkaraUSA rod doesn't come close to my mortgage payment and casts better then the cane pole I used as a kid.

Lighten up. You call it tenkara ... some of us call it a glorified cane pole. If you enjoy it, don't worry about the rest of us.

No worries, I certainly am not concerned about what you think of my fishing. I'm just trying to understand the mortgage payment comment. I understand he was trying to make a joke but I don't get it. I didn't know if there were some 4 figure tenkara rods out there like some high end graphite and some bamboo rods. Rods in the 100-200 range aren't a valid mortgage payment :)

Why is it that Tenkara enthusiasts always have to justify why they like to fish that way? Who cares? Just go fish and have fun and I'll do the same.