Fly Tying
Nomad77

Deer Hair Frog "Masterpiece"

He posted a video on instagram yesterday, I believe, of himself using sand paper to finish a deer hair bug because he had it packed so tightly... He is amazing at what he does

I purchased one of Pat's videos and it doesn't take him long. The deer hair is a flying when he is tying...lol...I hope one day I can see him in person tie deer hair.

I purchased one of Pat's videos and it doesn't take him long. The deer hair is a flying when he is tying...lol...I hope one day I can see him in person tie deer hair.

What amazes me the most in his videos is how he's able to blend the hair in his hands, by hand, and get everything mixed so well. I have tried that technique several times and all I do is drop half of the hair on the floor. I have tried blending hair colors inside a stacker, which works pretty well for me, but watching him do it by hand is awesome.

I wonder how much deer hair he goes through in year's time. I am sure he gets it at a discounted price since he probably buys in volume. I've tied deer hair and I am by not means even close to his skill nor could I even hold a candle to your tying skills. I just think deer hair tying is pretty neat overall.

It is sort of strange that Pat uses his industrial strength hair packer and that Mike doesn't use any hair packer - just his fingers.

Mike does us a deer hair packer, but you can't see it. It is the clear, or nearly so, thick plastic sealer that fits into the top of the cap of one of the head cement bottles, can't remember which one. He packs the hair on.

No offense to Mike George ... but Pat's flies are so much more densely packed. I look at Mike's flies, and I think they look like any other "good" deer hair work.

One question here on this older post: have you ever seen Mike's flies up close and personal or not, handled them, or are you judging from looking at pictures?

I have only seen Cohens flies; I have never handled them. Mike is a friend; I have seen and handled his flies, along with owning quite a few. He has won 1st Place in the Mustad International in his class 8 or 9 years in a row and 1 2nd Place. This is an international competition, and not just anyone does that. Mike is not just another fly tier by any means or stretch of anyone's imagination.

Recently, he and a group of us tied at the annual Sowbug Round-Up in Mountain Home, Arkansas. He tied some beautiful flies.

I have no doubt that Cohen does a great job, too; I like his flies.

Working with deer hair is like anything else, takes practice. Static electricity can be a bugger (static guard) and one of the most important issues is having quality hair, straight , proper length, and not 'over tanned', where some patches can be dry/brittle. I save my long hair for the big stuff. I use a lot of yearling elk hair, Spirit River. Spinning and stacking is a blast and with a little one on one instruction, most can conquer this so called challenge . Another thing about cranking them out and being productive is to build flies in steps , none of the best tiers compose one at a time from start to finish and with deer hair trimming. its much easier and more consistent to tie up several bugs , then trim, you will find your bugs will become better and all will be more of a 'cookie cutter' look.

post-4571-0-23522800-1436122429_thumb.jpg