Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Quinn NH

First Try Rusty Rat

I've always had an interest in salmon/steelhead flies but never took the time to try tying one. Well, tonight I thought I'd give it a go and tie a Rusty Rat.

I really don't know what I'm doing as far as proportions go and am working from the recipe and photo in Dick Stewart's Universal Fly Tying Guide.

I would appreciate any comments or advice.

Thank you

Quinn

post-54856-0-92784400-1426205193_thumb.jpg

There's nothing wrong with that Rusty Quinn. That'll catch salmon for sure. Maybe one less wrap with the oval tinsel on the body - 5 wraps on salmon flies is the most common consensus out there - but that's just getting overly technical and I'm sure the salmon aren't counting as the fly swings by. I caught my very first bright salmon on the Rusty and it remains one of my all time favorite flies. Nice work!

There's nothing wrong with that Rusty Quinn. That'll catch salmon for sure. Maybe one less wrap with the oval tinsel on the body - 5 wraps on salmon flies is the most common consensus out there - but that's just getting overly technical and I'm sure the salmon aren't counting as the fly swings by. I caught my very first bright salmon on the Rusty and it remains one of my all time favorite flies. Nice work!

Thank you for your reply. I’d really like to learn how to tie salmon and steelhead flies correctly and the small details like 5 wraps of ribbing is what I’m looking for.

Thank you again for taking the time to look at and reply to my post.

Cheers

Quinn

Of course, when you tie on bigger hooks, you'll likely have more wraps to make it proportional... I fish quite a bit early season and use 2/0 to 3/0 hooks often during that time of year, and 5 wraps on big flies like that would look pretty sparse. Here's a big 3/0 rusty - looks like 8 wraps on it...so no "correct" amount of wraps. i'm not expert, but i think it's more about it being proportional.

post-54465-0-09803900-1421521053_thumb.jpg

On the wing, how sparse or full should it be? I kind of went for in the middle but feel it could be fuller.

Thanks for posting the picture of your fly, it looks great! I especially like the two veils.

Quinn

Thanks. I'd say as a general rule bigger flies you can go with heavier wings, and more sparse as you decrease size. Your wing looks real good - you don't need more imo. I'd fish with that one you tied any day, it looks great and Rusty's are a very good producer at any time in the season.

When I first started tying again, I tended to always over dress the fly. Not a bad thing in high dirty water at all, but on the smaller flies, it's better to go lighter than it is heavier. Sometimes in the summer for when the water is low and warm, I tie the wings (and the whole fly actually) really sparse. A Silver Rat tied really sparse is a super low water fly in Eastern Canadian rivers, by the way, and a simple pattern to tie.

They both look great to me! As good as anything I've tied. I agree with Salar. Smaller flies, less material (we used to call these reduced). WILL MAKE them sink more. Good job!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this