Fly Tying
Sharkster

Protecting rubber legs

Flafly .. I cut one bungee cord once ... and all the strands were square, not round.

I guess I got the wrong kind.

I had a conversation several years ago with the late Tom Eggler, who owned the Gaines Company & he indicated that some of the older rubber leg materials he used didn't break down like newer rubber. He also said that the older stuff was no longer available. I still have some round "Living Rubber" I purchased from the Living Rubber Company. It seems to be in good condition, except some of the ends have lost some color. I keep it in sealed bags & in a dark place so perhaps that's why it's still OK.

I'll also use the silicone skirt material & yes, it does break more easily than the rubber. However, I stopped threading legs thru bug bodies many, many years ago, so no longer have that issue. Instead, I only add the legs behind the body & wrap a hackle collar so the legs are within the collar.

I have been using bungi chord rubber for around 4 years from an "old" bungi I found on the road while bicycling. I have had no problem with them getting rotten or hard and stiff. The strands are round and mostly black with a few white thrown in. I am afraid that I am getting low and will need to look for another source. Does anybody know if the flat bungi's sold at Walmart also have the small rubber threads like the old round bungi's? I hate to cut up a new bungi and find it is not useable for spider legs. :) I know ...I am cheap, er frugal

Just start looking, Ditz. I think I see an average of 10 bungee cords a day, lying beside the road to or from work.

You can buy it by the foot, just like rope, at HD and Lowes. I bought a foot, they cut it longer than a foot, but I got tons of legs from it. BTW I didn't strip the cover completely off... left a couple of inches at the end so it keeps them all together. Mine are all white. If I come across some colored ones I would buy another foot or so.