Fly Tying
Freddo

Rod Length: 9'-0" or 8'-6"

Hi All,

I've been tying flies and while that's great fun, I'll need to get them to the hungry fish. I'm planning to drop some cash on a rod/reel combo and the last deciding factor isn't line weight (maybe) but rod length.

I grew up using ultra-light spinning tackle and typically the lighter side for trout (2-4 lb test). I always favored the short 4'-6" UL rods and featherweight reels. Now onto finishing there desision is 5WT. I see there's both 9'-0" and 8'-6" rods for this line weight.

Will I see much a difference from your experience in the 6" of rod length (casting, stream size, etc.)?

What are the thoughts from you that own these size rods or have had the chance to use both sizes?

Thanks again to all in advance!

This is a interesting question! I personally like shorter then 9' in the lighter sizes & heavey sizes! But 7wt & 8wt i love 9'! If i had the money i'd buy a 5wt 8'6" zenith!:-)

Hi Freddo, congrats there is nothing , NOTHING like shopping for your first fly rod or any fly rod for that matter !!

Your question is one of the nature that will bring out tons of personal preferences. But just look at it practically. Generally speaking we match rod size and weight with the waters fished most and the size flies we will be using. If you are fishing brushy narrow winding streams you have little use for a 10 ft 6 wt rod for instance. Or heavy current large rivers, open spaces with lots of wind aren't the place for a 7 ft 3 wt generally speaking. Still on a personal level, some folks will try it anyway and may like either scenario. And fly size matters , you won't throw huge bass bugs on the 3 wt generally, for instance.

That said, you mentioned streams. And I mentioned personal preferences ! In smaller streams I use a 7' 4 wt and nothing larger than my 8'6" 5 wt. The flies are Muddlers in size 10 and 12, soft hackles size 14-16, Streamers size 10. Nymphs 14-8 . With that same 7'6" 4 wt rig I did some practice casting in a lake, caught a 4# large mouth bass on a standard Muddler of about size 10 or maybe 8 ( was a long time ago) but I wouldn't want to fish that rod there all the time.. And my Step son landed a corker of a Salmon in the Moose River in Maine with that rod. A place ( the Moose) where I prefer the 5 wt or in the lake a 9' 6 wt.

The difference in length also holds some line handling characteristic difference with it. Generally speaking , though much depends on the blank and your casting style, a 9 ft rod will handle line mending and over all line control a bit better than an 8'6" rod will. But if you are fishing in small streams this is of less concern. Some small streams it's just better to have a shorter rod for space sake. In small streams I have never had a need to use more rod than that 7'6" 4 wt. It's not even an expensive rig but I've kept it for probably 20 years now just for that purpose and obviously it has worked in other conditions if not ideally, still got fish.

You seem settled on the 5 wt. ? What flies and sizes of flies have you tied ? How big are the waters you want to fish in ? And everyone can chime in from there !

For any given situation I will always use the longest rod I can. Be it a 6 footer on small tight streams or an 11 footer on the lochs (still searching for this rod). I own both the rod lengths you mention and there is not a great deal between them. That said if I can use the 9 foot I will. It gives you a little more line control and reach.

You do not mention the situation that you are going to be fishing in. This will have a great influence on the rod you choose. Neither do you mention the species you will be targeting.

Dave G has summed up about all I was going to say when I started this. The principals he bases his decision are the same I use, no point repeating them. I tend though to look for greater differences in length. 12 to 18 inches between rods.

Cheers,

C.

Yes 6" makes a difference. 6" creates a longer lever and gives the angler a larger mechanical advantage.

How much of an advantage depends on several factors.

Height of the fly caster. If you are 6' 6" tall you can do do more with a shorter fly rod than someone who is 5' 6".

Are you a deep wader. The deeper you wade, the "shorter" the distance of the rod tip from the water surface for casting, mending, hifh sticking, etc.

Are you a float tuber. You want at least a 9 ft rod.

Roll casting - longer fly rods are a longer lever = better at roll casting.

Longer rods allow greater side angle when fighting a fish.

Longer fly rods allow for more effective mending both on the water and in the air. For example, more effective reach mends.

Longer fly rods make it easier for back casts to clear vegetaion on the stream bank behind the caster.

Longer rods are more effective for both indicator and non indicator nymphing.

I fish with 6 rods in my boat. Each one has a different kind of fly on. The reason that's important is, the heavier flies are on the longer rods, to keep them away from my head.

Other than that, I couldn't tell you which is which, just by picking it up and using it. I have to look at the fly to know for sure which rod I am using.

I do have one 9 foot rod that is noticeably heavier than any of the others, but it's an older, probably cheaper rod ... I don't think it's the length, but the material.

Crackaig! Maybe you should look at the Loop opti peak 11' 4wt? I love mine! 3kg sea trout no problem! Even had a 5-6kg salmon hooked autumn 2013 while whitefish fishing, took almost all the backing twice! Let go in the last seconds, i dont care! My friend that was standing in the water for ages with a big salmon net was more angry than me!:-) Like guideline says, it's all about the experience! But the rod is awsome, big & small fish! Loop opti peak 11' #4!

Thanks to all of you...!!!

OK - here's the beef:

I want to fish panfish and trout (no particular order [yet]; time will tell after the first fly caught trout). Being new to fly casting will surely have me taking trips to water I haven't fished before so I'm not 100% how wide or not the rivers will be. I mentioned streams and maybe that was a mistake. Last weekend I took out my spinning gear and the stretch I like to fish is may be no more than 20' across (while I'm standing ankle deep in the river). I'm not sure what justifies a "stream" to you guys but I'm in North NJ and have access to all sorts of streams/rivers/lakes. (Oh -- there, I mentioned lakes too and should have in my initial post).

For flies to be fished, all of what I've tied fall into the categories that Dave G mentioned. I may go as big as a gurgler on a size 10-14 bass bug hook (Allen) unless the size #10 pushes the envelope. So far the smallest I've tied is a 12 nymph. For the most part, I've got a collection of woolly bugger tied, some other panfish flies (spiders), and I just started cruising the pages for GRHE patterns (and other trout go-to's). Ah - and a Walt's Worm. Just getting used to tying and trying many different patterns to get technique learned.

My choice for the 5WT was strictly on fish size I'm after. But the length seems to be more of a concern since I'm a little guy at 5'-6" with my shoes on. I held a 9' rod at a fly shop and it seemed like a javelin to me (huge compared to my little UL spinning rod!).

With and endless supply of ca$h, I'd buy all different size rods and line weights but need to "start" somewhere in between to get the most for my money, and the most use out of it. I'm sure there are some out there that own more fly rod/reel combinations than I ever will (we'll see about that one day), But again, for starting me off, I want to make one educated purchase to get me out there. I'm extremely excited about NOT taking the spinning gear and learning fly fishing. Having fished all my life with all sorts of baits, I've always admired the "idea" of fly fishing, It's time to be involved!

Ya, we have all been there and done what you are doing !! Trust me, if you get hooked on fly fishing and that is hard not to do once you make the move, it's like a calling, then you will, WILL end up with more than one rig and possibly several. Over years, not up front, it will just occur. So you need to get on the water and you need to learn to cast. Lakes and[ponds added. Lakes and ponds genrally are an indication of a couple of things: A finesse top water rig and a stout sinking line rig, for ultimate success. That is why I have a couple of different 9 ft 6 wts actually. But getting going your 5 wt sounds ideal. 5 wt rods throw streamers in the size 10 range very well, including woolie buggers. I throw some weighted big buggers on full sink line and that is why I have 6 wt rods as well. 5 wts will even throw size 6 streamers very decently.

Based on what you are telling us here, I'm inclined to say to go with a 5 wt 8'6" as your starter rod. Beginners usually do well with a forgiving rod with a bit of mid rod give in them but not total mush either.. The old Sage Graphite II or III series would be good or the old VPS series but no longer made. Even RPL's are no longer made which was the VPS with upgraded fittings. There may be something in the TFO ( Temple Fork Outfitters) line that will fit well. You want something that won't break the bank to get going with . By the end of the first season you will have a better indication of how your casting style comes together. You then can better key in on your rod of choice for the second season or even skip that if all is well. I'd suggest going to a shop who has staff that know casting and know rods. Unless you know someone who can get you up and running and can go with you. But most decent shops will get you set up and take you out back or in the parking lot and get your first cast strokes down before you leave the store. Or they used to anyway.

Not to confuse matters but panfish and trout really go well on a 4 wt Fred. It's just a sweet combination, in stream fishing especially.

I'm going to say a 9 footer. A fly rod is not a spinning rod that you flick and the lure carries a thin line behind it.

With fly casting, the fly rod (meaning you) carry all that line in the air.

I use an 8.5 ft rod in the streams below.

PrairieLogs3.jpg

Stream3.jpg

This is my Montana spring creek. I use a 9 ft 4 or 5 wt on it.

DSCF0024.jpg

P1010790_zpsf3249a9c.jpg

This is the Madison River. I fish a 10 ft 5 wt.

P1000965.jpg

P1020280_zps61973b16.jpg

Thanks yet again guys. Yes - I was at a local shop and a young man helped me with rod selection. He recommended a 9' 5WT to start. For price in a combo (and lifetime warranty on the rod), I'm looking at the Redington Path (previously named Pursuit). This won't break the bank and may allow another combo in 2016 (Here we go Dave!). I also like what I see in the Orvis Clearwater but it's $110 more than the Redington setup. Also, the Redington comes with RIO line and ready to go (just add water and fish I suppose; and the training).

Freddo:

It all depends on where you fish, what fish you are targeting,what you are fishing from and what flies you are using. I"m not the normal fishermen I tend to downsize everything...

If it was me making the decision and knowing I'm only going for panfish and bass, I'd use a 4wt 7 ft. But thats just me because I fish in a kayak In a lake and the biggest fish I've pulled from my spots, is a six pound bass. Using a 9' rod doesn't seem sporting enough to me, considering most fish weigh a pound or two.

I know this doesn't help.

However a longer rod for a beginner is always easier to learn to cast.

SilverCreek, those first two shots look much like streams in Maine I would go down with either my 8'6 5 wt or my 7 ft 4 wt. Anything narrower would be the 4wt all the way. Or even those narrow sections in the distance. To me everything else you showed would be fish-able ( with out getting in the water to experience it, it's easy to say lol !) to me with either a 8' , 8'6" 5 wt or 9' 5 weight . And the shot of, I assume you in the bend, I would use either the 4 wt or the 5 wt depending on species in there.

The thing about rods is there is always going to be some crossing over. You head down a river with a 4 wt and all is good and then all of a sudden it opens up, gets deep or produces swift runs in broad areas and you say dang wish I had my 6 wt !!! LOL

Thanks yet again guys. Yes - I was at a local shop and a young man helped me with rod selection. He recommended a 9' 5WT to start. For proce in a combo (and lifetime warranty on the rod), I'm looking at the Redington Path (previously named Pursuit). This won't break the bank and may allow another combo in 2016 (Here we go Dave!). I also like what I see in the Orvis Clearwater but it's $110 more than the Redington setup. Also, the Redington comes with RIO line and ready to go (just add water and fish I suppose; and the training).

Your or the sales persons starting point in that Redington 9 ft 5 wt would be a very very typical, or dare I even say "traditional" starting point actually. So would the 8'6". You can't go too far wrong.

The Clear Water is very good. Two different casting actions between Redington and Orvis but both manageable both very respectable choices.. Either will get you on the water with no particular handicap..

Still thinking a 4 wt is up next for what you want to do.

Dang, now I want to go look at fly rods LOL !