Fly Tying
Freddo

Rod Length: 9'-0" or 8'-6"

Pulled the trigger today on rod/reel combo. I picked up a Cabela's RLS+ combo. It costs $319 retail but was on sale for $150 so I didn't pass up the deal. It's light, balanced, moderate-fast action felt great in hand, it's graphite with a machined aluminum reel, and a case. The reel came spooled with backing, line, leader. The rod has a 10 year warranty. This should serve me well as a newbie and I didn't spend teh #320 I though I was going too (that leaves money for extra leaders/tippets (I need to learn what I'll need to carry in that department now).

Thanks for all the input to all that shared and commented.

Pulled the trigger today on rod/reel combo. I picked up a Cabela's RLS+ combo. It costs $319 retail but was on sale for $150 so I didn't pass up the deal. It's light, balanced, moderate-fast action felt great in hand, it's graphite with a machined aluminum reel, and a case. The reel came spooled with backing, line, leader. The rod has a 10 year warranty. This should serve me well as a newbie and I didn't spend teh #320 I though I was going too (that leaves money for extra leaders/tippets (I need to learn what I'll need to carry in that department now).

Thanks for all the input to all that shared and commented.

That should be a great combo for you, probably a keeper even when you want another rod. And hey, that 14 YO is on your heals !

You mention leaders and tippets. I will add learning knots. And I will add that when your son starts in on this stuff, Show Him How, don't get in a habit of Doing Stuff For Him , LOL! Both my boys went after it, learned the knots, how to tie, etc etc. Had to give a push here and there when fishing was slow with the older one is all. I remember him going and sitting on a log stream side once, looking all dejected cause he hadn't gotten a bite. I went and sat next to him. Asked what was up. Simple reply, "no fish in here" ( was late June and knocking on a drake hatch). I asked you got a sink tip line in the vest ? The reply, " ya but there aint no fish". I said maybe they are down near the bottom feeding on big Mayfly Nymphs. The reply " don't have any big Mayfly Nymphs". I'm thinking wow , he's really in a funk. I handed him a big and fat Olive Hairs Ear, said try this but get it down deep. i went back to fishing. About 20 minutes later I hear him yelling for me " Dad Dad" !. I look over to see his rod is bent right over, he had about a 21 " Land Lock on. All grins now. Later we went back to the trailer I had back then and he tied up a bunch of those nymphs.. The whole rest of that week we caught fish.

Enjoy !

I remember him going and sitting on a log stream side once, looking all dejected cause he hadn't gotten a bite. I went and sat next to him.

@ Dave G. -- You're a champion father Dave G.! Enough said! Your story touched me to a tear in my eye (I'll admit I wear my heart on my sleeve). I'm happy that your son made out well at the end of the day.

To All --

So is buyer's remorse something that occurs "after" trying a product and not liking it, having it fail, etc., or, just thinking you jumped to quickly and bought something different than what was "deep down in your heart" what you really wanted to buy in the first place?!?!? It happened!!! I went out this afternoon and bought the Orvis Clearwater combo from my local fly shop. Yes I paid more but I'm happy I did it. This setup is the same: 9' 5WT and I'm still quite excited but way more "settled" about the purchase even at the higher cost. I've heard all good things about the Orvis line. Last night and extremely late, I was reading every review I could find on the combo I initially bought at Cabela's and found just enough (for "me" that is) to warrant second thoughts. I read "nearly all" of the 100+ reviews. Most love the setup, quite a large number do, but I just feel I pulled the trigger to quick seeing the great sale price (someone posted they're always on sale). That setup will be returned; can't afford to keep both (no backups yet). So the first rod/reel is the Orvis setup. If I continue fly fishing until I'm 78 (I surely plan to), it'll still be under warranty too. The young man at the fly shop today walked me through how he sets up his leader/tippet and it'll be easy to pick up speed on that topic since the talk we had. Now I need get out on the water and learn to cast the thing. BOO HOO - There's still ice all over the lake where I'll set out to get started with practicing. I'm also seriously considering an Orvis 101 class on 04/25. Anyone done this?

Awesome Freddo welcome officially to the most expensive hobby one can participate in. Go Get Em !!!!

Hey Portlyjoe...

It's funny (or ironic) you should say that because it was just "LAST NIGHT", while thinking over my fly fishing endeavor that started just after the last Christmas break, that I thought to myself this seems like a rich man's sport (too funny you mentioned that!). I'm not a rich man and I'm sure there are more guys fly fishing that make the bills but still do this, I find it to be quite a lot more expensive than the fishing I grew up doing (spincast fishing for trout mostly). However, we shouldn't spend outside of our means. I know that once I'm setup here, I'll enjoy the time out there on the rivers and lakes. I was always able to spend a day on a river, even alone, and enjoyed nothing more than the peace (oh and the fishing part was fun too - hee hee)!

I'm happy I spent what I did so far but will slow down now to specifics and not stock up on fly tying materials that I "might" use one day. I'll buy as needed and go from there.

Freddo what county are you in? I'm in Bergen county..I only have a couple rods but wish I had seen this thread earlier as I would have offered you to try em out to help decide. I was talked into getting a 5 weight as a beginner, but now that I pretty much soley focus on trout I wish I had got a 4 weight instead - love my 3 weight for small stream wild trout

Thanks Thursthouse. I'm in Sussex County (bear country). Thanks for thinking to offer me rods to try - so nice. I "feel" that the 5WT will serve me OK since I may go for some bass too. However, if I fall head over heels for trout fishing I can see myself quickly grabbing up a smaller setup because I've always likes UL gear. This 9' rod it twice the length I'm used to toting around and it'll be quite an experience getting used to it (but I will). If you ever travel up to Sussex county to fish, PM me and maybe we can meet. I've been up here since '88, only fished for trout with eggs and UL gear and in only a few places nearby (all stocked waters). I'd typically fish from fall through the winter. But - having said all that, and even with a passion for fishing, I haven't done a lot of it as our boys were growing up. My younger son calls his older brother "the indoor cat"; he never took to fishing. The younger one though,,,wow! So he got me to take him ice fishing and it all started up for me again. There were a lot of years I just didn't fish but that's all changing!

I'm constantly out in sussex county fishing, matter of fact I was out there yesterday. Will definitely let you know next time I'm heading out, although I may be relocating very shortly, so we'll see. The fly rod does feel weird at first - feels way too long and you feel clumsy waving it around... soon enough it'll be a extension of your arm and you wont look back to give spin fishing a second glance (at least not for trout).

I'm constantly out in sussex county fishing, matter of fact I was out there yesterday. Will definitely let you know next time I'm heading out, although I may be relocating very shortly, so we'll see. The fly rod does feel weird at first - feels way too long and you feel clumsy waving it around... soon enough it'll be a extension of your arm and you wont look back to give spin fishing a second glance (at least not for trout).

I've heard that more than once so we'll see how that goes and hopefully soon enough!

Hey Portlyjoe...

It's funny (or ironic) you should say that because it was just "LAST NIGHT", while thinking over my fly fishing endeavor that started just after the last Christmas break, that I thought to myself this seems like a rich man's sport (too funny you mentioned that!). I'm not a rich man and I'm sure there are more guys fly fishing that make the bills but still do this, I find it to be quite a lot more expensive than the fishing I grew up doing (spincast fishing for trout mostly). However, we shouldn't spend outside of our means. I know that once I'm setup here, I'll enjoy the time out there on the rivers and lakes. I was always able to spend a day on a river, even alone, and enjoyed nothing more than the peace (oh and the fishing part was fun too - hee hee)!

I'm happy I spent what I did so far but will slow down now to specifics and not stock up on fly tying materials that I "might" use one day. I'll buy as needed and go from there.

Once you know what you are doing you can pick up good used rods or maybe build a rod even. You don't have to put out a whole lot of dough, just right now it seems so. I bet you could get a good Sage VPS 3 or 4 wt off Ebay at some point for $140. That was a $350-$400 rod in it's day ( the rod alone). Or an RPL that was over $500 in it's day. Super rods, smooth casting. Not to mention a host of other possibilities.

Those stock trout when they first get dumped in the waters we fish take most anything that's sinking or sunk, the first few days.. Then they turn to hardware readily for a week or two, spoons and such. But not long and they key to the habitat, that's where fly fishing comes in. In under a month they know what they want in the waters they are now living in. You just need to accommodate them !!

Now I need get out on the water and learn to cast the thing.

Don't make this mistake. I feel it's a mistake, anyway. I've been fly fishing for nearly 40 years. Anytime I have been off the water for more than a month, I walk out into the yard and spend a few minutes casting.

If you wait until you are on the water, your priorities will be divided. You'll be wanting to catch fish ... and trying to learn how to cast ... and getting frustrated that neither is happening. Two options usually happen:

(1) You luck into a bunch of stupid fish, in which case, the casting takes a back seat to catching fish, and you begin "practicing" lousy casting techniques in the eagerness to catch another fish. It doesn't take long before you begin to get some "muscle memory" for that bad technique. Much harder to retrain your muscle than to train them.

(2) You "foam up" the water learning to cast, which spooks all the fish in the area. You can see fish you can't get to strike, so you start trying harder to get a "perfect" lie with the fly. Since you haven't actually learned anything, yet, you again are probably getting some muscle memory for incorrect casting techniques.

Spend a little time in a yard, field or other open area ... not on the water ... learning how to cast. You'll be much better for it when you DO get to the water. I've never done classes .. but I can see where they'd be an excellent idea.

I am an instructor (different discipline) and I much prefer to teach people with no previous bad habits than those who think they know what they're doing.

Don't make this mistake. I feel it's a mistake, anyway. I've been fly fishing for nearly 40 years. Anytime I have been off the water for more than a month, I walk out into the yard and spend a few minutes casting.

Now I need get out on the water and learn to cast the thing.

If you wait until you are on the water, your priorities will be divided. You'll be wanting to catch fish ... and trying to learn how to cast ... and getting frustrated that neither is happening. Two options usually happen:

(1) You luck into a bunch of stupid fish, in which case, the casting takes a back seat to catching fish, and you begin "practicing" lousy casting techniques in the eagerness to catch another fish. It doesn't take long before you begin to get some "muscle memory" for that bad technique. Much harder to retrain your muscle than to train them.

(2) You "foam up" the water learning to cast, which spooks all the fish in the area. You can see fish you can't get to strike, so you start trying harder to get a "perfect" lie with the fly. Since you haven't actually learned anything, yet, you again are probably getting some muscle memory for incorrect casting techniques.

Spend a little time in a yard, field or other open area ... not on the water ... learning how to cast. You'll be much better for it when you DO get to the water. I've never done classes .. but I can see where they'd be an excellent idea.

I am an instructor (different discipline) and I much prefer to teach people with no previous bad habits than those who think they know what they're doing.

I hear ya Mikechell and I've leaned into your camp here - thanks for this confirmation. It's not even a matter of line cost. I want to learn and sooner than later. For the end of the line, what would I tie on, a piece of yarn or a hook w/o the hook point and bend? Also, would I want to have my leader on the fly line for this practicing? ... Thanks ! smile.png

Since I practice in my yard, on grass, I just go with whatever is tied on. I have it already rigged up to fish, line, mono and fly.

If it actually hooks into the grass, I'll walk to it, then cast to a different target from there. That way, I am actually going for accuracy, not just distance all the time. I do this with conventional gear, too.

If you end up going to, say, a parking lot ... for lack of other open spaces, then your options change. Any fly you use will probably be dulled with repeated contact with the asphalt/cement, so tying on a piece of yarn might be preferential. Again, though, I like to duplicate the weight and action, so maybe a "junk" fly you never intended to fish with would work better.

Awesome advice Mike, I always do a practice or two before go into the water. It amazes me how much farther I can cast on dry land, but when I got into the water I used to get really frustrated not realizing I'm chest deep; makes a difference. what I've learned to do it set up garbage can lids in the yard and practice accuracy by casting on my knees. its worked for me. Hopefully,Freddo will glean from my stupidity, and hear all this great advice,and skip the learning curve.

One thing to practice on:

Cast to a "head high" target. I don't mean you should have targets set up at that height ... I mean stop your fly in the air at that point, then let the whole line/leader/fly length drop to the ground at the same time. This is a presentation method that seems to be rarely used. At least, I don't see it on videos, much.

I believe it's supposed to deliver the fly as quietly and softly as possible. I just use it to keep the cast on target when my height to water changes. It works opposite too, if I am standing an a high bank, casting straight out, then dropping the line puts the fly closer to target than laying the line out below my feet, if that makes sense.