Fly Tying
carpflyguy

Superglue as Head Cement?

Thanks for the responses to my original question. Yes, price isn't a main concern for me. Obviously I have no problem forking over $6 for a bottle of cement. But actually, if I felt like going out now, I could get a little less than 100 ounces of superglue for $6, at least if my local Walmart still has the sale going. That's a lot cheaper than head cement.

But it's more of a convenience thing... I just ran out of cement, so I was wondering if superglue might be a similar alternatives, with no side effects, since I have plenty laying around. Not to use in replacement of a whip finish, but just to strengthen the wraps at the front, to keep them from breaking at the prick of a tooth.

Evidently Mr. Clouser is not skilled at making a "good" whip finish so de decided to cover the entire head with epoxy.

I believe you are drawing the wrong conclusions and can assure you that Bob knows how to make a proper whip finish. The epoxy serves two purposes. One is to protect the thread, because the original use for the Clouser Minnow was as a Smallmouth fly is the Susquehanna River, which is chock full of rocks that can easily sever unprotected tying thread. The second purpose is to keep the barbell eyes intact, again as protection from those rocks. The first barbell eyes were made of lead, and lead breaks, so the coating of epoxy over the entire head & eyes prolongs the use of the fly in the conditions it was designed to be used. Bob's use of epoxy has nothing to do with ability to make a proper whip finish. wink.png

I think he was being sarcastic.

One thing I found about supre glue is I think you can tie a small head by applying glue to the thread and wrapping it without a finish.

I have been using the Loctite brush on super glue. It is very clean and no clogged tips to clean out.

I rarely tie anything larger than a size 10, and work down to size 26. I only whip finish heads. I never use glue on them. I used to use head cement more, especially on larger flies up to size 4 when I was fishing more steelhead. I liked it for the glossy finish. For some body construction, especially posts on parachutes I like a drop of Zap-a-Gap, but apply it after construction on the top of the hackle wrap. Just a teenie bit on a pin point. I use kip hair posts and kind of press it into the base of the hackle wrap. Seems to hold it all together well and at whatever position I set the final adjustment. Like others, I don't like the thinner Zap-a-Gap as it will wick too much (which can really muck up a nice tie when you apply it late in construction).

I use it to make sure my half hitches or whip finishes don't go anywhere. If you're looking for nice glossy head I'm not sure superglue will produce one. These days I just add a bit of UV resin over the super glue to make it glossy.

X2 on super glue clouding up.

Using loctite Gel lately. Super effective although it had a 30 minute setup time. Solid after an overnight cure.