Fly Tying
barrytheguide

Storing fly recipes

Hi, I am wondering the best method of storing fly recipes on my electronic devices, iPad ,iPhone etc. I thought of trying Notepad, but maybe there's a app that I don't know about?

I have a fly pattern folder in my documents. If I find a fly that I can figure out how to tie it from the photo, I just save the photo as a reminder (I have over a hundred "one of these days" flies). If I'm saving a photo from the database, I add the pattern number to the fly name (e.g., Royal Whatever 12345). For Youtube videos, I usually just save the web link as html. If I find a useful (printed) SBS that I want to save, I copy the relevant portion of the web page and paste into a word document. I usually do a bit of editing (changing margins, shrinking picture sizes, etc.) so they don't take up too many pages. I have also bookmarked a few on the database that I might want to think about some day.

In Windows 7, I can go to that folder in Windows Explorer, and actually view the docs or photos without actually having to open them. That allows me to scroll through the whole collection quickly to find the one I'm looking for.

Evernote

Onenote

Microsoft word

Microsoft excel

i created this one as a word document and saved it as a .pdf for this post

I travel, sometimes at sea for a month at a time without an internet connection. I downloaded a plug-in for You-Tube that allows me to download the videos from youtube onto a hard drive. This allows me to have a video on hand with tying instructions even without an internet connection. I subscribe to a number of tyers and download all their new videos each time I hit port. I usually only download at 360p but still my library is at around 25 GB. The video files can then be copied to my android tablet if I don't want to have my laptop up and running.

Duane

I suppose I am screwed if technology fails ... but with the ease of access to the internet, I haven't "stored" any patterns. Of course, I don't tie that many new patterns either.

I make mine like flytier does, and store them in a flashdrive reserved for just my fly tying and fishing information. Won't lose all of them if (when) my hard drive decides to die. Occasionally, I transfer them to a DVD to backup the flashdrive.

Thumb drive or flash drive whatever you prefer to call it, dumped to a hard drive once a year. I do the same as FlaFly. Hundreds of "some day" on it.

As of today, I have 561 patterns in Evernote. Almost all have a link to the original website or video.

Thanks, I downlaoded Evernote and it seems to do all that I want , from saving a screenshot to a complete web page. If I paid for the premium edition then it would work offline, but $4.99 a month is to steep for me.

JollyRed You might consider getting a portable hard drive... You can periodically refresh, saving your entire hard drive to the portable in case of a crash. You can also partition the PHD so that you can store all the videos and other pattern info on it.

I have been in the IT industry for going on 19 years and I can tell everyone it is not a question of if your hard drive will fail but when. I high recommend having some sort of a backup of your data just incase. If you are like me I am beginning to collect quite an array of photos, patterns, and web links to all my fly tying stuff. I have spent many hours online building my collection.

Just one super strong solar windstorm ... and all your electronic storage devices might be useless anyway. I've lost all my information twice, since starting on the personal computer scene in 1997. I do have some personal photos saved now ... but everything I save from online will disappear if the machine crashes.

If it's just my computer ... I'll enjoy collecting all that stuff all over again. If it's civilization that crashes ... well, new fly tying patterns aren't going to be all that important anyway. If you survive, you'll be tying what works, not what's pretty.

Not true Mike. I use a laptop, and possibly I could lose all that, but many folks are using battery-powered tabliet, and can accommodate offline storage devices like flash drives, or my portable hard disk. That's the whole purpose of backing up your main device, whatever it is, to another remote device. You need to keep your remote storage somewhere away from your main device (so whatever destroys nr. 1 won't also destroy nr. 2) and not plugged into the same power supply, except when refreshing it.